crosscourt

Re: Linux Mint 19.1: The better than ever Linux desktop

Post by crosscourt »

19.1 has released if youre interested in downloading, www.linuxmint.com
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Will probably be moving back to 19.1 Cinnamon as I begin to use my Dell E6420 as my desktop/laptop thru a dock. Enjoyed the performance and need a distro that can support all its features, like backlit keyboard. I think Ive gotten to the point where this arrangement suits me best after trying the SFFs as an alternative.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed Linux Mint 19 Mate and it was a great install, far easier and more stable than Cinnamon. The design and features more closely mimic Windows than Cinnamon. Resource usage was around 420mbs at GUI which is excellent. All hardware was seen and installed and all codecs were available. I then updated to 19.1 with no issues since I didnt have the 19.1 iso initially. If you update 19 completely it takes a few minutes to update to 19.1

Ill post back on the install once Ive used it more but so far its a very easy and smooth experience, everyday users would really appreciate.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far the Mate version is running very well with no issues with games or multimedia uses. Performance is excellent and nothing like what it was like awhile ago with Mate, where resource use was much higher.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Mate version is much better than the Cinnamon version in many ways. No stability issues, much quicker in launching apps, particularly thye browsers and email clients, overall multimedia performance is better, much lower resource usage and a much friendlier user interface. Right now I think I prefer it over Ubuntu Mate and overall it feels more polished even though it offers less options than Ubuntu Mate in regards to customizing the desktop.It does offer Synaptic and the Mate sensor applet by default which Ubuntu Mate doesnt. I wish it worked with my Dell E dock.

Really pleased with this install and I think this distro might even interest my wife given its overall ease of use and similarity to Windows.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I have to say, since I started using Mint Mate Ive been using it all the time as my main distro. Its very comfortable and stable to use. Call it a Windows feel to a point but its been a great experience.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

After a few weeks Im still using the Mate version full time and loving it. It offers updates more frequently than most other distros Ive tested. Resource usage and speed have improved but the overall user experience is really excellent. Its a great choice particularly for people wanting to switch away from Windows.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

HenrySic, dont understand what youre referring to with your post in regards to this thread. Did you post in the wrong thread?
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The recent updates now allow 19.1 Mate to work with my Dell E6420 and E series dock.
Site Moderator