4 distros dominating Distrowatch

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

4 distros dominating Distrowatch

Post by crosscourt »

Its been interesting recently as many older distros have fallen to the wayside replaced by newcomers that have substancial numbers of fans. Mint has become the predominant Ubuntu with its simple user friendly design, its in 4th. In 3rd we have the everyman's Debian MX Linux again with very user friendly features and design. in 2nd Elementary OS, a MacOS clone using a simple but beautiful overall GUI but Ubuntu based. In 1st, Manjaro the very user friendly Arch based distro thats gained huge popularity. These distros are running at 2000-3000 hits which is amazing compared to past polls.

The main focus is simpler, user friendly designs with many added features based on solid/stable older based distros.

https://distrowatch.com based on 3 month ratings.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: 4 distros dominating Distrowatch

Post by tlmiller »

My coworker gave up on Manjaro for quite a while. He got sick of getting the constant updates like in Arch. Switched to Neon.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive talked to many Manjaro users who arent users anymore because of problems including constant updates. Manjaro in the 6 month ratings has over 4000 hits, thats amazing but after reading many reviews and trying it myself, I dont get it. Elementary,MX Linux and Mint are all great distros that are very user friendly.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I think Manjaro's nice, but I'll take normal Arch over it. There just isn't any great reason IMO to run Manjaro over Arch. Using anarchy instead of Manjaro, I prefer the installer on Anarchy, and the actual systems aren't that different. So for me Manjaro is a system that I like, but do I like it more than what it's based on? No. Is there any reason for me to consider using instead of what it's based on? Also no. So I'll install and test it once in a while, and I think it runs great, I'll never really bother keeping it around as long as Arch doesn't go and start breaking their OS every other week like they did back in 06/07 timeframe.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im not an Arch fan in general so i try to be fair when I test Arch based distros, but so far havent found one Id use, nor recommend to a beginner, or less experienced user. My focus is on ease of use and looking more towards mainstream users.
Site Moderator
junkle

Post by junkle »

I have not yet tested the Manjaro because of the constant updates