Mageia 6.1 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: Mageia 6.1 released

Post by tlmiller »

I may give it another try sometime. Right now not sure what I'd put it on. My 7490 and 7375 definitely won't budge from Debian (my favorite 2 laptops so my favorite OS), so that leaves me in the position of having to get rid of an OS from something to test it, although my usage of the T450S has went down a LOT recently as I've been using the much newer hardware (and the slightly older but better LCD Yoga 3 Pro), so that might be something i could try putting it on.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

if youre using Rosa I wouldnt bother.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thing I like best is they dont auto install the Nvidia proprietary drivers anymore. You can do it easily at install but they default to the Nouveau drivers instead. This is something i wish PCLinuxOS would do as well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Had I still had Nvidia cards I would prefer that. I had issues using the proprietary drivers with my old card (GTX 760, no idea why). While most things worked, I had a few things that just DIDN'T work properly with the proprietary, worked great with the open-source drivers.

With AMD now, I don't even know HOW to get the proprietary extensions to the open-source driver installed on anything other than Ubuntu anymore!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The issue with defaulting to nvidia drivers was, many times the wrong driver was used and when making changes, unforeseen issues cropped up and it became a mess. i always prefer to install my own drivers when feasible but I stick to Nvidia because overall its easier with Linux, not perfect.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

More updates and so far a good experience with all uses. Its not as polished as OpenSUSE or Rosa and still tends to lag with updating apps and features.
No stability issues and resource usage has improved to about the same as the other KDE distros i mentioned. Im hoping the 7.0 version will move beyond the limitations of 6.1 and become more polished.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I wish they would do more updati8ng as its a mixed bag. Kernel is 4.14.78, KDE 5.12.2, Firefox 60.3ESR, Chromium 68 but Libreoffice 5.3.7

Its been this way for awhile and i have all repos enabled including testing and still they fall behind. Its stable and has improved hugely since 6.1 but they need to bite the bullet and get Mageia 7 released.
Site Moderator
benmc

Post by benmc »

understand that Mageia 7 .isos are currently being tested
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I believe beta 1 is out??? but they are planning final release for 1/11/2019 but Ill reserve comments till I see the RC. They need to really up the bar given how far behind 6.1 was with many apps and features. TLMiller and myself had both formerly used Mageia but given the state it was in, I ended up going to Rosa R10 and he tried it and also liked it and its one of his preferred distros now.

Welcome to the site benmc! :D
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears the Mageia 7 link was pulled, as it was included in the release notes but suddenly stopped working.
Site Moderator