Mageia 6.1 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Mageia 6.1 released

Post by crosscourt »

All the updates to this point have been included but after reading the info it appears some of the packages are still slightly old.
Look here, https://distrowatch.com/10319
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Mageia 6.1 released

Post by crosscourt »

Im typing from the live session and its working very well. The new version is crazy as it jams the application menu and other icons all on the right side of the panel, really stupid. Youll need to do some moving to get some semblance of normality but I might try installing it tomorrow. 4.14 kernel, Firefox 60.2 ESR and Chromium 68.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

4.14 might be a bit dated, but it's honestly a great kernel. First kernel I remember that had no issues with Apollo Lake, worked great on 8th gen Core chips, and worked fine on Ryzen 2000 series mobile chip. Arch LTS is on 4.14 as well, and it's IMO a very good choice, as it's recent enough to support pretty much anything, but still been out long enough to work out the bugs.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

MX17 primarily offers 4.14 but there are other kernels.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Wow, what a difference this new iso is over my last experience. Install was flawless, no screenlock issues and nothing preventing me from finishing the install. Last time I installed I ended up with a black screen where i couldnt unlock it.
Codecs are installed by default, Firefox 60.2 ESR, Chromium 68, Thunderbird 52.9 ESR, KDE 5.12.2 and kernel 4.14.70.
Welcome Center greets you and has a nice selection of one click apps as well as everything you need help and finish the install. Make sure go into control center and enable the additional repos for Mageia so you can access more apps. I enabled the testing repos as well as the tainted ones.
Most of the silly issues are gone, cleaned up, like sensor apps just work rather than having to jump into a terminal for detection. Wifi was seen but the printer you cant install with HP device manager nor printer settings. You have to go into the control center and do it from there and it works fine. HPLIP drivers were installed by default as well as Epson and Lexmark drivers. Scanner, XSane is installed and they have Clementine as the audio app with VLC and K3b.
LibreOffice though is a very old version at 5.3.7, not sure what the issue is there. 6.0.6 is the stable version presently.

The desktop panel though after install greets you with all the widgets scrunched into the right side corner with only Firefox and the control center on the left corner. Its honestly weird and stupid so youll need to do some moving around and getting rid of unneeded widgets/icons.
During install they give you the option of not installing unneeded hardware support and localizations.
They dont install a lot of apps so for those of you who prefer a minimal experience its easily attained.
Resource usage is around 435-440mb at GUI which is very good.

This is the Mageia i was use to before, solid, fast and stable and its a welcome experience. ive tested multimedia/videos and everything is working fine.
Looks to be a good distro so far and ill be using it a lot for awhile to see if it becomes one of my favorites again but with Rosa so good its going to have to work hard to keep my interest. They lost a lot of their popularity because they were so slow to update and improve Mageia, an issue with many of the RPM based distros.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Very good so far and I think they may be realizing they need to make more changes to keep Mageia user friendly. Lets see how quickly they bring Mageia 7 out with newer features.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Only other office suite available from their repos is Calligra, other than using Abiword so why they chose to use LibreOffice 5.3.7 amazes me.

Definitely a top 5 RPM distro.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Heres a short article, www.betanews.com/2018/10/06/mageia-linux-61/

Its interesting as he refers to it as a not so popular distro(43 on Distrowatch) but not that long ago it was a steady top ten distro. Things have really changed on the Distrowatch top ten.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It's not surprising that it's lost a lot of spots. Given how many issues you saw with it, I had issues even INSTALLING it on several pieces of equipment and the ones it did install on it had issues with, we don't have EXTREMELY unusual equipment (my 7375 excepted since rare to see AMD laptops), and so if we're seeing that many issues on pretty much normal hardware, it's safe to assume there's going to be a LOT of people having issues. And then some will have found things that are similar but simply work better (ROSA, or for you PCLinuxOS) and give up on something that's of rather unique appeal to begin with since the repositories are quite limited in their scope.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its a great turnaround for Mageia has i had stopped using it due to many issues but this recent update changed that. is it better than Rosa, no sadly but its solid and can serve the needs of anyone looking for a solid distro to use. My testing so far has been excellent, no issues.
Site Moderator