OpenSUSE 15.01 Leap KDE

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: OpenSUSE 15.01 Leap KDE

Post by tlmiller »

So found a GIGANTIC negative. Zypper/Yast/Discover are stupid on OpenSUSE. I uninstalled useless programs like kmail, knotes, korganizer, etc. But EVERY TIME I boot, it wants to reinstall them when I check for upgrades. I had to mark them as taboo because openSUSE package management not intelligent to not reinstall something that's been manually uninstalled.

While it can be worked around, I would say this makes OpenSUSE the ABSOLUTE WORST package manager in existence. In fact, I would put it below Slackware, as while Slackware might not do dependency management, it at least doesn't try to reinstall software you've specifically told it to remove.

I have a feeling OpenSUSE will be gone from here as soon as my wife's parents leave this weekend. Truly abysmally WORTHLESS package manager.

Never thought it would happen, but I have found a linux-based OS that I think less of using than Slackware and Gentoo.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive had issues before with uninstalling K apps with other distros using KDE so its not just an OpenSUSE issue. Maybe you should try Gecko Linux and see if they got it right as i think they mentioned that as one of the issues they wanted to correct. For most of us its not an issue as those apps really dont impact my use of OpenSUSE and so far Im loving it. Their support is excellent so drop by and ask them why its happening, but Im not going to condemn OpenSUSE for something like this.

Ive uninstalled many other apps with no issues so far with OpenSUSE so it must be just a K app issue.

I havent tried it myself though so maybe Ill check it out and post back. i can uninstall a single K app and see how the system reacts.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'll have to check Gecko. OpenSUSE had improved a lot overall from how it was, but reinstalling apps I obviously have no desire for with EVERY update is simply unacceptable. How hard is it to put in logic like apt if upgrade = ignore suggests, if install = install suggests...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

That you have to discuss with OpenSUSE as there may be a reason for it, Im not aware of but as long as non-K apps can be installed and removed Im fine with it.

Ill be trying to remove a K app here in a few minutes and Ill let you know.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I looked it up, it's because it will reinstall all suggested deps every time. You can turn it off so that it will never install suggested dependencies (even on installing new apps), but if you don't, then if you remove something that's a suggested dependency, then next time you do a zypper dup (or from a gui) it'll reinstall. This is a purposeful decision on the part of the OpenSUSE development team. IMO, it's the worst decision there is. I WANT suggested dependencies to install (just liek I have them on in Fedora and Debian), but if I remove one, I don't want the system to reinstall it next time I do a system update (just like Fedora and Debian work).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/679e ... ackages+i/

Heres a link on the topic.

www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/6pub ... i_removed/

For some this might be a good thing but i do understand where youre coming from now.

Ill have to check Gecko to see if they done something about this.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok just checked Gecko Linux and yes, they have fixed the issue you were discussing. Its on the main page of their site, discussing the dependency issues and reinstalled apps.

I had no issues with Gecko so it might turn into a better alternative.

Maybe a reinstall of Gecko Linux is a better option for you. Its certainly easier and faster to install than OpenSUSE.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just for those of you reading this thread, I havent tried to remove any K apps but have removed other apps, with no issue. OpenSUSE is running very well and is very quick on older hardware.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Heres a post sent to me from a friend at Arstechnica, that discusses the issue tlmiller brought up. It appears they have a bit of a culture issue and cant uinderstand the problem.

http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1035802
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far ive had no issues installing or removing normal apps outside of the K apps. I like the method they use as it makes sure that problems wont occur and that certain dependencies wont be affected and makes you aware of it.

Very stable distro so far with no problems or hitches so far. Afew things Ive done with other distros that have caused problems, didnt affect openSUSE.
ive got a lot more testing ahead but very impressed with the stability so far.
Site Moderator