Top 5 RPM based distros September 2018

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Top 5 RPM based distros September 2018

Post by crosscourt »

This is based on my experiences, needs,hardware and preferences, your mileage may vary.

1. Rosa R10
2.PCLinuxOS 2018 KDE
3.OpenSUSE 15
4.OpenMandriva LX 3.03
5.Mageia 6.1

You noticed I didnt list Fedora as the release cycle is too fast and ive had more issues with it, than other RPM distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Top 5 RPM based distros September 2018

Post by tlmiller »

I honestly don't think I can say there's 5 rpm distro's I even LIKE. PCLOS hates my equipment, Mageia's snails pace development and having such limited repos annoys me, OpenSUSE I just can't seem to work right. Rosa, OpenMandriva and Fedora would be my 3, with Fedora actually topping the list. While I don't like the development pace, at least it works correctly, which the other 2 both had showstopping issues even though overall Rosa did have AMAZING potential.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

From your perspective I can see Fedora really being your only option but agree Rosa has amazing potential. Im typing on it now with the testing repos enabled and Im enjoying it thoroughly. For me OpenSUSE has always worked better and looked better than Fedora, which shows you just how strange things can be in regards to configurations/hardware.

If Fedora slowed down a bit like once a year I think it would not only be better but people would find it a better choice.

Mageia has been the biggest disappointment for me as their development has slowed to a crawl.

I have hopes that OpenMandriva will make a comeback with a unique new version.

Only 1-4 of the above list are totally useable on my hardware, as Mageia has too many issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

OpenSUSE is much better than I expected and has improved so it may top my list this month along with Gecko Linux. OpenMandriva has been disappointing along with Mageia.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm just kinda happy that I've found a second rpm distro I can actually enjoy using in Rosa.

Obviously, OpenSUSE has moved itself to the absolute lowest point in my list, it's below such sparkling performers as Windows ME, Windows Vista, Windows BOB, ReactOS, etc.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats not a fair comment as OpenSUSE is a very stable RPM distro that many people use, it just doesnt match your requirements. I actually liked Windows Vista so disagree on both counts. I did a lot of gaming quite successfully on Windows Vista. It was very stable and my wife had it installed for years with no issues.

I agree with Rosa as its pretty much what I was hoping for from Mageia and OpenMandriva but never got.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

it's all opinion. In my opinion, OpenSUSE is one step above a pc without a cpu. It's truly the worst distro I've tested in the last 5 years for how I work. Vista I used, but the performance of Vista and the popups doomed it to be remembered as one of the most hated OS's Microsoft ever released. Only Windows 8 and it's "Metro" UI inspired more hatred for most people than Vista and it's click "please grant rights" click "please grant rights". I know many, many people who never stuck with it, and rather abandoned it and went back to XP so they never saw that MS eventually DID fix the issue with the far too agressive UAC controls, although to be fair they never did fix the performance issues. On the same hardware, the OS prior to Vista and the OS after Vista both significantly faster.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I never had any performance issues with Vista after the initial driver issues occured and lets remember what a mess XP was early on forcing many to stick with Win2k. Over time Vista became much better and you could turn off the annoying aspects if you so desired. Win7 still has popups for granting rights to some apps so that hasnt changed.

So what this comes down to is OpenSUSE doesnt serve your needs so you trash it thats your right and the same for Vista. Yes its opinion, but could be expressed with a little less drama and absolutism. Many used Vista just as they use OpenSUSE and like them so whos right? Yep everyone is entitled to their opinion..........................................

All Windows versions went thru the launch version problems that eventually got fixed. XP had the toughest road as it took quite a few fixes to get it to the point where it was reasonable secure and had better performance. Vista suffered with that as well and I tested graphics drivers early on and they were terrible, of course people stayed with XP that had been out awhile and more optimized. Win7 benefited from the fact that it was similar to Vista and driver/performance issues were much better early on.
I tested and pro-gamed with Vista and never had any issues once the OS was more optimized.

Totally disagree with you but thats nothing new! :D
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I give it such absolutism because I am that disgusted by that OS. Not functional is one thing. Making choices that go that against everything I want in an OS is truly anathema to me. It's the very antithesis of what I think an OS should do. So yes, I'm very dramatic about it, because I truly do think it's the worst OS I've used in a VERY long time. Yes, PCLinuxOS doesn't load on my machines, but it's still better than OpenSUSE to me, because at least it just doesn't work, it doesn't do the exact opposite of what I want an OS to do. I can't remember a time that I was more disgusted by an OS. Even the UAC controls over agressiveness in vista on release didn't bother me as much as that choice in OpenSUSE...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Honestly I have never been disgusted by any OS/distro including WinME, so not going down that road. Given the number of people who use OpenSUSE obviously others feel quite differently including myself. I contacted Gecko Linux directly to tell them about certain issues so lets see where that goes.

Dont get me wrong, Im not promoting OpenSUSE but i just cant agree with such absolute comments about an OS. You dont like it, leave it at that but Id like to take a more open stance so we dont scare away mainstream users looking to try Linux or use certain distros. Whats interesting is many people feel that way about Arch which I also dont agree with. You dont like a distro fine, lets move on.

I do post that i dont recommend certain distros, i say why and leave at that. Im not going to trash somebody else's product. I stick to what doesnt work and leave it at that. Let users decide if they still want to try it.
Site Moderator