Netrunner 18.03

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: Netrunner 18.03

Post by tlmiller »

I do really like Neptune overall. Wish they did a bit better job of writing their pinning files, but overall a good distro.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its night and day between Metrunner and Neptune. I typically dont touch distros based on Debian testing.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok call me a glutton for punishment but I reinstalled Netrunner and made sure I followed all the info in the readme and it went pretty well. I enabled the backports and testing repos as they suggested before updating. Updating went fine but this is no distro for newbies. When the repos ere added the reload finished and quite a few errors cropped up that didnt seem to affect the install so far.
Typically when packages are installed with Synaptic you rarely open the details and sit back waiting for the install to finish. Not with Netrunner, as it asks quite a few questions and makes you decide what you want to do about certain install aspects including Grub. This time it seemed to go ok and the system was rebooted and off we go.
Added some apps, made some adjustments, changed menus, checked startup apps,power management and display resolution.

As far as i can tell outside of Thunderbird,Chromium and Firefox most apps are fairly recent and updated. Chromium is 68, Firefox 58, and Thunderbird is 52.6. Kernel is 4.18 and KDE is 5.13.5. Its an interesting situation but lets see what happens now that Ive solved most of the minor issues, and two major issues with this distro.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok so far so good and there is a lot to like about this distro with excellent wifi support/printer support, and sensor support. Wifi/printer required no additional effort to work and Psensor worked right after install. Codecs are already available so multimedia works fine and they offer SMPlayer but I typically install VLC. Audacious is the music player but they didnt offer any dvd burner so I installed k3b. Chromium 68 I installed and its far more up to date than Firefox. LibreOffice is version 6.1.1 and other packages like Gimp appear to be recent versions.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok I used it extensively last night and tonite with a few projects and its running very well. Im still not sure why they use Debian testing versus Stable given some of their apps are a bit old but I have to say it runs very well. It supports all features of my E6400 ATG including backlit keyboard as Im typing on it as I post.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

OK, evidently Netrunner comes out with updated installation media every six months so Im assuming by the end of this month we will see an updated version of Netrunner with KDE 5.14 and FF62 among others. 18.03 was officially released around March 30 so by the end of September we should see something.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'll still probably avoid it. I'm just not a fan of Debian testing. Once upon a time like 10 years ago, I did like testing because it was much more up to date and the hardware support in the kernel was just SOOOOOOOOOOO much better. Than I learned about apt pinning, backports repository, how to recompile a program for backports myself, and anymore I rarely if ever even test testing until a few months before it becomes stable. The exception of course was Debian 9, since I wanted to move to Plasma 5 and was willing to deal with testing in order to have plasma 5 (since backporting it would be far more than I was willing to do myself...I don't mind doing a package or 2 that I want, but the amount of packages needed to do the full plasma suite is just INSANE).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

This is just an experiment and looking for an alternative for my Dell ATG feature set outside of Mint 19 Cinnamon. I prefer KDE so Ill play with this a bit till I can find a better alternative. Hoping KDE Neon 18.04 night be that distro but Kubuntu 18.04 doesnt support all features either.

I wouldnt recommend testing either to anyone. Still dont understand why they are using it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears they have another version called Maui Linux that is based on Kubuntu I believe but not sure if its still being supported at this point.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Maui Linux appears to be a dead project even though they continue to refer to it on the Netrunner site.
Site Moderator