Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Zorin OS 12.4 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Zorin OS 12.4 released

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed it on my Dell E6400 laptop with EDock pro3x and it worked fine. No issues as wifi was seen immediately, printer had to be installed but two clicks and youre done. No issues updating and the overall interface is very Windows like but easy to navigate. Synaptic isnt installed by default so youll need to use Hiri the software store to get it then install whatever you need. Software updater is included and Brasero and Chromium are also installed.
I added Synaptic,Firefox,Thunderbird,hardinfo,htop,bleachbit and psensor. Libreoffice 6.1 is installed by default and there are a number of system tools and utilities also available. Very quick OS, no lag and apps run very well. The one thing I noticed was the memory usage is high, 835mb at main screen even after turning off some boot apps. Youll need at least 4gb of ram to run this OS but again performance is excellent.
Ill do some more testing and report back.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Multimedia and videos run fine and overall browser performance is excellent. Tried some of the websites that have had issues with other distros ive tested and didnt have any issues.
Particularly for Windows users this is a great OS to try Linux as it flows in such a way that reduces the overall learning curve. Yes youll have to learn the apps in Linux but that comes pretty quickly and being based on Ubuntu 16.04 makes this a great choice from a software standpoint.

Its quite a change after all the issues I had with Bodhi 5.0.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I have to say its a very pretty OS with many choices for themes, GUI, icons and features. Huge improvement from the initial launch with many bugs.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Memory usage is my only complaint so far as it starts at 835mb, spends most of its time in the 900+mb range and once online it gets into the 1-1.3gb range and thats with private browsing mode. Thats in the same range as my Windows 7 install but it has better performance overall.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Interesting issue since the last updates of Zorin. The Dell E6400 on the Eport dock. When i start the system up it goes happily to the Zorin load screen then quickly goes to power saving mode/display off, I hit enter and it goes to the login and then loads to the desktop. Im guessing its a display issue of some type as its still loading the OS, thus the login screen showing. Wasnt happening prior to the last set of updates but thankfully its no big deal.

The Eport dock could also be part of the issue but might be a graphical driver issue.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok, doesnt happen with just the laptop alone, so its either the Eport dock or the monitor. Not a big deal as long as its recoverable by pressing enter to get to login.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Very interesting as i had popped in Mint Cinnamon and ran it, no issues, then pulled it out. Put Zorin back in and on the first boot had no issue. Turned it on today and it took quite a few tries to get the screen to come up then login and screen still didnt come up. Hit enter and the screensaver screen came up, hit enter and went straight to GUI.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Zorin it appears doesnt support the keyboard backlight features on my Dell E6400 ATG laptop. Had to go to Mint 19 Cinnamon.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just reinstalled on the E6420 and so far so good. Synaptic isnt installed by default so after installing , added some apps, Firefox, Thunderbird, Hardinfo, Htop, Bleachbit, Psensor and dconf-editor.

Zorin appearance is still there but it appears the Zorin web browser installed has been removed. Resource usage is around 1g but Ill do some tweaking.
Overall appearance is beautiful and the available wallpapers are excellent. Overall feel and speed is excellent as apps startup very quickly. No codec issues and wifi/printer were seen an auto installed.
Except for the different style app menu that has a Windows feel to it, its an excellent distro so far. Multimedia tests went fine so Ill remove the laptop fr
Site Moderator