Never thought Id see the day

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Never thought Id see the day

Post by crosscourt »

When Manjaro would be number 1 on Distrowatch for this long, Elementary moved to 3 and MX Linux is up to 4 in the rankings. Many of the old favorites are moving downwards and the trend to newer distros seems to be growing.

Take a look, www.distrowatch.com
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Never thought Id see the day

Post by crosscourt »

In some ways I guess Im not surprised as Manjaro is the everyman's Arch, Elementary is an OS X clone and MX Linux has shades of Mepis a very easy to use and very popular older distro. The fact that the likes of Ubuntu,Mint,Fedora,Debian and Arch to name a few have dropped in lieu of these newer distros i never thought would happen to this extent.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

MX Linux just moved past Debian on the 6 month at 4th. MX Linux though ia based on Debian Stable.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Debian dropping into the bottom half of the 10 most popular is pretty normal really. It generally hangs out in the 8-12 spots except for a while after release. That it stayed in the top 5 for over a year is an anomaly. It dropping back under OS's that are based on it is just a return to normalcy. Surprised it's taken so long for Manjaro to get to the top parts. It's all the goodness of Arch with the bleeding edge constant updates tempered (it doesn't use the Arch repos, Manjaro team delay the updates going into Manjaro repos until they can verify most things actually work). So given how much easier it is to install and fewer daily updates, not in the least bit surprised that it's that popular (even if I don't personally care for it).

Honestly the only surprising one in the top 5 to me is Elementary. But I guess looking like evil empire OS gets you popular...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

What surprised me though is Mint and Ubuntu in particular being run over by Manjaro as I really didnt think there were that many Arch fans versus Buntu fans.
Elementary I agree is the most surprising versus MX Linux which didnt surprise me at all given how good it is and the large number of AntiX and older Mepis fans.
Site Moderator