Lubuntu to no longer target old computers...

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Lubuntu to no longer target old computers...

Post by tlmiller »

Read more here.

We've known this was coming, but they've OFFICIALLY announced it now. To me, this is a change for the good, as LXQT is far more attractive and usable than LXDE, even if it's maybe not as stable. Plus as they said, what qualifies as older is more and more able to run much heavier machines, as 10 year old pc now (2008) would be dual core upper 2 GHz or faster. So while it might not handle Gnome, it'll handle pretty much EVERYTHING else without issue!!
crosscourt

Re: Lubuntu to no longer target old computers...

Post by crosscourt »

Exactly, as i use MX17 as my old computer/portable distro and it runs great and offers excellent hardware support. They mentioned running Kubuntu on 10 year old hardware but that doesnt work on all my systems but XFCE seems to do just fine. This will eventually get to the point where in another 10 years youll be able to run pretty much anything given the quality of the hardware.
I prefer LXDE over LXQT which Im not a fan of, but their decision makes perfect sense and i dont fault them for this move. I originally reported in the Lubuntu thread about their moving to LXQT which signaled them moving away from being a low end hardware support distro.
LXQT , Budgie and Gnome 3 are my least favorite DE's.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Didnt realize there would be so much push back on Lubuntu going to LXQT and not favoring older computers.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I haven't really followed it much. I only posted the link because we had discussed on here that this change was coming but they had never made the official announcement until recently. If I want to use LXQT on something I'll use Sparky Linux.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Older hardware users swear by Lubuntu, its very popular. The simplicity, ease of use and low resource usage has always attracted fans.

Theres always a push back when changes happen to such a popular old school distro. I just didnt think it was going to be this big a deal.
Site Moderator