Linux Mint 19 beta released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Linux Mint 19 beta released

Post by crosscourt »

More than likely we will see the final release at the end of June and you will be able to upgrade from the beta and from 18.3 if you so wish.

Take look, www.linuxmint.com
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Linux Mint 19 beta released

Post by crosscourt »

Im looking forward to both the Cinnamon and XFCE versions.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They use of Timeshift to back up your system and create system save points is interesting. The new update manager looks for a previous Timeshift configuration and warns when it doesnt see one.
Ive so rarely had any issues its not that big a thing for me even though I do backup important files/content.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Heres a video review of some of the new features, www.lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=257409

I like what Im seeing in regards to Cinnamon which Im hoping this time around will be a bit more polished and stable.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Is this really a beta? Really works well and no issues so far with the newer version of Cinnamon. Performance is excellent and had my first experience with Timeshift when I was upgrading but wont be using it just yet as this is just a test.

Cinnamon has improved so much I could get to like this and use it regularly. KDE is still my first pick but it wouldnt take much if the final version is better than the beta.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I do want to try this just to see if Cinnamon has improved for my tastes since the last time I used it. Probably be in a VM.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If you have similar results to mine, youll like it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Installed Linux Mint 19 Beta and it feels more like the final release. It had none of the issues I experienced with 18.3 and so far has been a great. havent had any issues nor seen any obvious flaws but need to use it more. Install was simple and straightforward and I didnt use timesift even though its available, Flatpak same.

Didnt have to install many apps,Chromium, Audacious,Hardinfo,Psensor,Htop,Bleachbit,XFburn and Brasero. Choice of wallpapers is amazing and settings are easy to use and get use to. Speed is excellent and memory usage was 500mb which is lower than 18.3 at 550mb.

Codecs are already installed and will need to do some testing and Ill post back.
Very good out of box experience and you can update the beta to the final version so go ahead and try it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Did some multimedia testing and all is fine and no issues with browsers or email. Printer was spotted and installed automatically and network was also fine. They have their own system information app but Id highly recommend you install hardinfo which has improved hugely and offers a huge amount of specific info on your system,software and OS.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Didnt care for the Mint-y icon set, so changed it to Adwaita, which really represents the apps more clearly than the more abstract icon sets.

Let me know if anyone finds an icon set thats similar but better than Adwaita.
Site Moderator