ROSA R10- recent upgrade to R11

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

ROSA R10- recent upgrade to R11

Post by crosscourt »

Im testing in a kive session and so far its quite good. Printer I had to set up but works fine. All other aspects are fine including wifi/ethernet.

Its a bit different as it doenst have a system settings and control panel like other RPM distros. Instead it has only the system settings and includes all the control panel functions within it. Other than that there isnt a lot of difference between it and say, Openmandriva or Mageia. Havent decided whether Ill install it or not but the first look is very good. Live session performance is good but loading time was quite long compared to other live distros.

Ill report back.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: ROSA R10

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed it and so far its fine. The update process was an issue as there were 1072 updates plus some apps I added. It hesitated a bit but rebooted and its fine. Its using Firefox 60.1 Quantum and already had Chromium installed. I added Thunderbird, bleachbit, and Java and that was it. It doesnt have a lot of apps, so it leans slightly to the minimalist side but not as much so as KDE Neon. The system control center is integrated into the system settings so its all there but Id prefer that the control center be there with only root access.

Speed is good and so far stable. Ill be back once I test the printer and some multimedia apps.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Multimedia is fine, printer working. Plasma version is 5.12.5, Frameworks, 5.43.0, QT version 5.9.4 and it uses the 4.9.95 kernel which surprises me as most have moved to at least the 4.13 kernel.

It appears codecs are pre-installed as everything works fine. Comparing this to OpenMandriva there are differences such as no separate control center, older kernel version OM uses 4.15, but ROSA uses Plasma 5.12.5 vs OM that uses 5.10.5. Printer works with no extra work in ROSA vs OM.
Ill have to use it more to compare more but it has some similarities to Mageia and OM.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Resource usage at desktop boot is 367mb which is amazing for a KDE Plasma distro. It boots much quicker than OpenMandriva and uses about 80-100mb less in memory. The distro is a bit more tightly integrated than Mageia or OM and it is probably because its a corporate product ratehr than a community driven distro.

They need a newer kernel though, and a more current iso so you dont have to update over a 1000 packages.

It uses rpmdrake which worked very well for me for installing/removing software.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Sounds like Rosa has improved a lot since the last time I used it.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Holy $@!%#, they still have a KDE4 version available!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yes They do have a KDE4 version but the Plasma version is very nice. More impressed with it than OpenMandriva so far. 2 year suppprt cycle so the next version wont be out till the end of 2019.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I'm downloading the plasma version. I was just surprised that a modern OS still had a KDE 4, since it was EOL'd a couple years ago now.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It hasnt been that long since PCLinuxOS still had KDE4.

ROSA has a sliucker feel than Mageia and I actually like the way they decided to setup the features and they have Firefox 60 Quantum as a plus.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

My download is going SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow...I really should have started it from another machine than the one I'm working on. Being on the VPN makes the download super slow...