ROSA R10- recent upgrade to R11

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: ROSA R10

Post by crosscourt »

Testing didnt do anything for the non-free repos. The updates were minimal actually. No Libreoffice 6.

I like Rosa better than PCLOS to be honest.

The cpu microcode though was definitely a good pickup.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Blogs and forums are amazingly bad or out of date. Very little recent info on R10 and you have to look around the net to find anything. OpenMandriva has the same problem versus Mageia or PCLinuxOS that have excellent support. Given the similarities its not that tough to figure things out but Rosa needs to improve this situation if they really want desktop users to see their distro as a mainstream choice. This may account for why their Distrowatch overall ratings are low.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Some really silly posts in various forums about Rosa being a Russian distro. Deepin is Chinese and very popular, so use what you like but get over the conspiracy theories as its just a good distro.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Check something for me. Go into firefox preferences, and see what "Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs in recently used order" is set to. If enabled, disable it, exit firefox and then start it back up again and see if it's re-enabled itself.

That ONE setting seems to re-enable itself every time on my Rosa system. All my other preferences will change, but every time I close Firefox, that resets itself to enabled. It's driving me mad.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mine was already disabled but renabled it, restarted, disabled it, restarted and its still disabled on Rosa.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Bum, that means something's buggered in my installation of firefox...
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Something is definitely off on my install. I created a new user, and they have the same problem. That 1 setting turns itself back on EVERY TIME firefox is restarted. I did a urpme firefox and then even did a find / -iname '*firefox*' -exec rm {} \; to delete any cruft left behind. It wasn't able to delete a library folder which I manually deleted. Also deleted everything mozilla or firefox in both my and the new users /home directories.

Upon reinstalling, same behavior. This is the times when it would be nice if they had forums that were actually functional.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I just tried it again when I came home and this time it remains enabled and cant be turned off. I was in private browsing mode the first time so not sure if that had any affect. So in fact it appears we both have the same issue that in my case doesnt really matter.

I tested it in Mint XFCE and its disabled by default.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far the additional updates coming from the testing repos are pretty tame and not what I had expected. Very conservative bunch in regards to testing repos, similar to Mageia but farther behind.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Even with a few questions about the repos , the lack of decent forums and support info on their site, I still like Rosa and will continue using it. Just on the distro alone Id include it in my top 5 distros as its great to use everyday. Im hoping things will improve over time and surprised this distro doesnt get better ratings on Distrowatch. Its as good or better than Mageia or PCLinuxOS and I prefer using it over Kubuntu or Neon.
Site Moderator