ROSA R10- recent upgrade to R11

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: ROSA R10

Post by tlmiller »

So, I installed onlyoffice with the nodeps and it's able to run, so apparently libcurl has gnutls 4 & gnutls 3 in it on Rosa, as onlyoffice will run. Has lots of complaints about things missing, but they're mostly all actually installed, just different package names.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Your using OnlyOffice presently?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I installed both FreeOffice 2018 and OnlyOffice to see if they would install. I actually uninstall libreoffice due to it being libreoffice still (5.4.x) instead of libreoffice fresh (6.0.x).
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well one thing I won't be doing is checking their forums. Even the english version of their forums is (partially) in Russian. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Forums are terrible but the english forums at least you can read thru posts to a point.

A lot of distros are still using the 5.4.7 version for some reason, Calligra is also in the repos I noticed.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

OH yeah, a lot of distro's will always stay with still. I like the way Debian does it honestly. Stable stays with still, but they make Fresh available in backports, so you can run the ultra stable still if you want, or you can install the much less tested fresh to have the newer features, better MS compatibility, etc. Obviously, I prefer the Fresh version since MS compatibility actually is important to me.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I wonder if they are available if I enabled the testing repos in Rosa?
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just enabled the testing repos and not a whole lot was installed. Wifi updates, a cpu microcode update and some general packages but no issues at all.
Was it necessary probably not, but wanted to test it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

This is where Mageia has a leg up as its more up to date in many regards versus Rosa, but it depends on the app/package.
Offerings arent as varied with Mageia either and only PCLinuxOS offers more apps but different than Rosa.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Did testing upgrade to LibreOffice fresh? That's about the only thing I'd consider it worth enabling testing for to me.

I don't think I'll be trying PCLOS again anytime soon. I've had nothing but letdowns from that OS.