ROSA R10- recent upgrade to R11

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: ROSA R10

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:56 am
I can pretty much guarantee you and I will rarely agree on the same distros and theres nothing wrong with that. :D
While true to a point, we do agree on some of the ones we dislike. And some of the ones you like I don't dislike (such as MX17), it's simply that there's something that fits my preferences more. When I first started using linux, I didn't like Debian because it was too difficult for me to install. So I used LibraNet because it made Debian easy to install, configure and administer. Only reason I learned real Debian is because after Jon Danzig passed away and his son decided to end LibraNet, I was forced to start learning more true linux as by this time I had been spoiled by the repos of Debian and didn't want to switch to a rpm based distro and none of the others based on Debian were ANYWHERE near as solid as LibraNet was.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont dislike many distros, they either suit my needs or they dont. Distros I test and discuss, I look for ones that will suit beginner to intermediate users and try to portray my experience with them. Its mainly about doing the same things in different ways and the plethora of distros really demonstrates that in spades.
I also look for distros that work well with older hardware so definitely sways some of my comments as well as the fact that i was an RPM user early on, Mandriva/PCLinuxOS.
I want easy installs, good hardware support, easy updates, good feature support and GUI. All wants of most mainstream users so my perspective always goes in this direction.

That said even though the K apps are a pain to uninstall in OpenSUSE, overall OpenSUSE has less apps than PCLinuxOS does, so I dont find it to have much bloat overall(most mainstream users arent going to uninstall K apps). Different perspective, but Im sure you and i will find common ground at times, but again my comments about distros arent directed towards you, but towards readers interested in how my experience was with a particular distro. Im an intermediate user with Linux as i spent many more years in Windows, so Im no Linux expert. I have tried thousands of distros and ran a site that did nothing but mainstream reviews of distros so that will always affect my comments/perspectives. Those of you who work in the tech industry will view things completely differently and thats fine as all perspectives are valuable.

So Ill keep pumping out the mainstream distro reviews and tlmiller can offer his alternative perspective for our expert readers. Hows that for finding a middle ground, :D

Sorry this thread got so far off topic, lets get back to Rosa R10.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I enabled the testing repos in Rosa this time. I also disabled all the 32-bit repos. I don't have any desire to have multi-lib.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I did the same thing and so far the testing repos have been good. I see why OpenMandriva used Rosa as the basis for their distro, even though the two are still different in many ways. i like the overall design of Rosa and hope they will push things along quicker.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Enabling testing for me was not so successful. My wifi no longer is being assigned a device id. lspci still sees is, rfkill still sees it, but ip doesn't, networkmanger doesn't. So I'm currently downgrading everything from testing back to main via a 10/100 USB NIC (I actually keep a couple of them around for just these types of things).
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Not sure where it happened from, I still have no network after downgrading back to stable. But I figured out what's going on. The ath10k firmware is crashing, and looking for files that don't exist.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Upgraded to the 4.15 image and all good now...
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Etcher requires downloading the binary from the Fedora repos and installing it with rpm and the --nodeps option as libxscrnsaver on Fedora is called lib64xscrnsaver1 on Rosa.

FreeOffice/Softmaker Office requires installing from the binary. The repositories will not work with Rosa.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Not surprisingly, suspend doesn't work on this. Well, technically, the suspend does...it's coming OUT of suspend that doesn't work. But given no OS I've used on it would successfully come out of suspend, I didn't expect ROSA to be able to.

I will say, the performance isn't amazing. Definitely slower than Arch or Debian on this machine. Not HORRIBLE, but not at the same level of Debian or Arch. Still adequate, and still runs smoothly, so nothing that's huge, but it's noticeably slower.