ROSA R10- recent upgrade to R11

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: ROSA R10

Post by crosscourt »

For what I use laptops for more than 8gb would be a waste and even with standard hard drives the speed is fine for my purposes. Most of my laptops have 4gb.

On a side note, i cant understand why Rosa is at 93 on Distrowatch. Its dropped like a rock even though its design and performance are excellent.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

In all reality, 8 GB is fine for me. I just like them having 16 GB. I do absolutely nothing that's able to actually utilize 16 GB instead of 8 GB. I still regularly use my Chuwi that has only 6 GB (found out it's actually 4 "dimms" of 1.5 GB each, so it really is true dual channel), and will keep it even if I get rid of the Yoga 3 Pro because it's just so small and light (the Yoga is almost just as light, but nowhere near as small). The Yoga while I do love it, finds itself in an odd spot. It's not upgradable enough to upgrade enought to keep, it's the next to slowest laptop I have (only the Chuwi is slower), and it's also tied for the 2nd largest footprint laptop I own (2nd only to the E6440, while the E7490 and the A485 will actually be SMALLER footprints despite being 14" instead of 13.3"). It's amazingly light, and has an truly remarkable LCD...but so does the Chuwi. So I'm not sure if I'm going to be keeping it for the long term, or consider selling it if/when I sell the Acer.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So just to show how much I don't use the ram I like to have, I'm on my Yoga 3 right now.

Firefox open with 6 tabs.
Clemetine open playing mp3's from a network share
Thunderbird open on a second workspace
Kpatience open

Code: Select all

2169.4/7889.7MB
This is pretty much par for the course for how I use my systems.

Also, this machine DOES NOT have swap...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont multitask much such as you do, so its less of an issue for me. Only my main pc do I ever use for multiple tasks.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Rosa is fine as they fixed their link on Distrowatch, which now points to their new website. Development is continuing and it appears everything is ok.
Good news as Rosa has one of the best KDE distros around.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Lots of updates recently to it. I did updates last night and while I hadn't done them in a couple weeks, there were like 100+ packages to be updated.

Overall, running well. Definitely was a good idea to put it on the E6440, runs so fast on there.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They seem to have gained some initiative and have solved some recent issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

That's a good thing. I got tired of Fedora being the only rpm distro that would function for me.

Also, managed to sign up for their forums now on the new site. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Let me know what they are like as I use to be on their old forums.

Ive had some good moments with Fedora but overall ive never been a fan. Rosa was a pleasant surprise and Im also looking forward to Mageia 7 and OpenMandriva 4
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The english portion, at least, is pretty dead. There's only been like 4 posts this month. The russian portion seems to be much more active (judging from the timestamps via google translate), but the English forums thus far are all but dead.

I've always like Fedora only because of the fact that their kernels have support for just about everything build into it. So it's often the first OS to support hardware, and is one of the best to try to get unusual hardware to work on. That and it's one of the only rpm distro's that actually functions on anything I try (PCLOS just hates all my hardware), and has at least a modicum of sane development (OpenSuse being the worst OS I've ever used in my entire life, not just the worst linux OS, but worst OS ever of any form).
Last edited by tlmiller on Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.