ROSA R10- recent upgrade to R11

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: ROSA R10

Post by crosscourt »

You have specific needs and they have to be met, understandable. Most average users though would find Rosa a nice experience. I direct most of my comments to mainstream users, not experienced/technical users who are pickier about smaller details. I havent tested many distros lately that didnt have some minor annoying issues. but rarely deal breakers.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed Rosa r10 on my newly acquired Dell 7010 desktop and it went great. The isntall was different than the first time as it offered me the ability to set some settings like time zone, but this time it didnt and it just installed. I made all the changes after it rebooted and no harm no foul.
I also noticed some new offerings in the software media sources and enalbed all of them which gave me some nice updates like Firefox 60.2.

Very few apps to install, Thunderbird, bleachbit,vlc,Java, Audacious and Gkrellm.

Typing on it now, runs great.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Continuing to use it and Id recommend Rosa to anyone as an everyday distro. Its become my main distro right now and after enabling the restricted/testing repos with no issues.

Not sure why this distro isnt rated higher given its clean design, speed and stability.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

My biggest guess is because it's russian in origin.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats my guess but Deepin was very popular and originated in China. Its interesting as many good distros are wallowing in the bottom 50 distros. Its quite a change from last year. Even some of the very popular distros have dropped into the bottom of the top 50.
Its nice to see MX Linux doing so well as its similar to the rise of Mepis in the old days.

Back to Rosa, if they would improve their forums and documentation to favor English a bit more it would really help their situation.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I have to give them credit as they offer updates often and do a good job keeping the system up to date. Large number of updates tonight and the system is running very well. No KDE 5.13 yet though nor Firefox 61.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok have to contradict my last post as recently updates having been coming that often and ROSA seems to be stagnating at the present time. New version coming or is there a lack of interest? If it doesnt change ROSA is going to drop off the radar.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Recent updates have been better so still viable. It has such a great design and feature set, they shouldnt let all this work go to waste.

My new HP printer was spotted by Rosa and installed without problems,, plus it had the HP device manger/toolbox already installed. Easiest install of my printer by any distro so far.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed on my Dell 7010 USFF and this time I enabled all the testing repos to see what we could get. Updated 4.9 kernel to 4.15, Thunderbird is still on 52.9 but FF 61.0.2 Quantum and KDE 5.12.5. Many of the other packages are far more up to date than they were so its all good for now. Lets see how the stability does but resource usage at GUI was 377mb and performance is excellent. No issues with my new printer nor internet connection.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Recent updates have been great, as resource usage(359mb at GUI) and speed have improved further( including boot time).. Very stable and love the overall design of the OS.
Site Moderator