Q4OS 2.5 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Q4OS 2.5 released

Post by crosscourt »

Initially based on TDE, you now have the option to run KDE and have it coexist with TDE, with this Debian 9.2 based distro.

More here, https://distrowatch.com/10222
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Q4OS 2.5 released

Post by tlmiller »

While I'm the first to point out that plamsa 5.12.x is actually better on resources than many of the environments that espouse to be lightweight, it seems to me that having plasma and TDE goes against the purpose of having TDE. Plasma is ultra-modern and not at all designed to be light (despite the fact that it is surprisingly light now), while TDE is based on downright archaic technologies in order to achieve one of the lightest desktops that still has MASSIVE levels of functionality.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I have only tested the Q4OS Plasma edition in a VM at the moment but it seems to be working ok so far, and I was wondering whether the Trinity developers are looking to upgrade TDE to a newer version (maybe forking the current plasma 5.12 before it bloats up) which could give reason for the Q4OS developers to start testing them alongside each other to foresee future possibilities.

Just a thought that went through my head as I was wondering why they would be doing this.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont think its a forking of the current Plasma with TDE/upgrade. I think many people/businesses who use TDE(KDE 3.5) also may want the benefits/option of an ultra modern DE at times so give them the option of running either one. Im with tlmiller as this goes against what Q4OS/TDE stands for as they portray themselves as being light, nimble and fast.
KDE today, I also agree with tlmiller is far lighter than it use to be when compared to recent DE's. I just worked with an author who did a comparison of Xubuntu with XFCE against OpenSUSE 15 with KDE and the overall resource usage was far closer than most would imagine.

That said Q4OS is betting their success/personality on TDE which makes them stand out from the pack. Move towards KDE and youre just another KDE distro. Its ok to have KDE as an option but stick to your identity with TDE.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I didn't say they had forked Plasma, but wondered if they were thinking of forking it as it would give their base system a major upgrade and most likely remove quite a few bugs that currently exist.

I also think that they would still have the same desktop but with an upgraded core, I'm probably thinking too far out of the box though and like I said it was just a thought...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You misunderstood my comments. I was saying that I dont think they are looking at forking Plasma in any way now or in the future, and are just offering a KDE option, thats it. Ill try to be more clear with my comments. The uniqueness of Q4OS is what got it noticed and deviating from that could be a huge mistake. I dont have a personal interest in Q4OS so Ill leave my comments at that.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

IMO, it's just not logical to offer one of the lightest desktops, and one of the heaviest desktops (even if the latter is a direct descendant of the former). But I can see how this would be useful. Honestly, now that plasma desktop runs so well, I no longer honestly see a need for Trinity for myself. Even my Chromebook runs absolutely great with the latest LTS Plasma desktop.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Agree as Ive got Neptune installed on my older laptop and it runs great. I dont have an interest into what the devs actually do but agree with tlmiller as I dont see a need for TDE either. Is it possible they feel that way as well and want a customized Plasma desktop for the future? Many distros have shifted recently, Lubuntu making the move to LXQT for instance.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:33 pm Agree as Ive got Neptune installed on my older laptop and it runs great. I dont have an interest into what the devs actually do but agree with tlmiller as I dont see a need for TDE either. Is it possible they feel that way as well and want a customized Plasma desktop for the future? Many distros have shifted recently, Lubuntu making the move to LXQT for instance.
Possible. The whole point to Trinity was because KDE had become too bloated and hard to run on less well spec'd equipment. Now that the KDE devs seem to be addressing that issue with aplomb, maybe they have decided it's time to move away from Trinity? While I like Trinity, the team is simply too small IMO for continued success. It managed to get a little bit of sunshine due to hard work of the Q4os team, but anything other than security updates are ETERNAL in being released for Trinity. And they don't just have to manage the desktop, but all the supporting apps, AND the fork of qt3 as well, since the qt team has stopped even having security updates for qt3 at this point.

Now, if they were able to port Trinity to QT5...that I could see being a HUGE coup, and I imagine that you'd see more interest in Trinity. However, just based on the reasoning the KDE team gave for starting KDE4 over from scratch with KDE5 when QT5 was released (essentially, we can't port it because some of the basic fundamentals of how it works are different), I can't see that happening.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Totally agree with your comments.
Site Moderator