Open Mandriva Lx 3.03

Discussion on Linux distributions
junkle

Re: Open Mandriva Lx 3.03

Post by junkle »

I am user of the OpenMandriva since version Lx 2014. Had a lot of adaptation problems for the Plasma 5 and Calamares, but the developers are doing a good job. OMA has a few team developers and they are volunteers.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats the way it is for most distros and overall I like OpenMandriva but it needs to be updated. I wasnt a regular user of OM but I am a fan of RPM distros in general such as Rosa,PCLinuxOS, and Mageia but all have lagged behind sadly recently.
Site Moderator
junkle

Post by junkle »

Actually these distributions you said take time to update.
With RPM distro that has the most updated programs is Fedora.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The problem with Fedora for most people is it's TOO frequent. Having to upgrade every 9 months just gets old. And I actually like Fedora.
junkle

Post by junkle »

tlmiller wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:36 pm The problem with Fedora for most people is it's TOO frequent. Having to upgrade every 9 months just gets old. And I actually like Fedora.
It's true, it has recounting updates.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

When youre competing with other distros you cant fall behind, particularly among the better known distros. PCLinuxOS does pretty well compared to other RPM distros as well as Open SUSE. Also when youve got issues with your distro as many do Mageia and OM for instance, updating to correct is a must.
Fedora is way to frequent so I just dont bother with it any more.
Depends on the distro of course but progressively updating is far easier.

My expectations for OpenMandriva are high as it use to be my favorite distro back in 2007.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just reinstalled on one of my Dell 7010 USFF. The most recent iso on their site right now requires you to download 1346 updates after install. Thats crazy for a disto thats not a rolling release. It takes forever to install it compared to Rosa. Thus the reason I either want an updated iso or a newer version.

No major issues but just one oddity. It installed the HP software and driver but didnt install the printer which amazed me. Rosa did it automatically so ot sure what the problem is as my new printer so far has done fine with most other distros.

Make sure to use the welcome center to install codecs but there are many other apps available with one click. Welcome center is a nice feature for newbies.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok OM has FF62, Thunderbird 60 and Chromium 68 aong with LibreOffice 6.1.1 and 4.17 kernel, with KDE 5.12.6. Pretty good considering what some of the other RPM distros are using.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Good improvements with recent updates, fixing some minor issues. OM has really improved recently and Im hoping their LX4 version will garner renewed interest in it.
Site Moderator
junkle

Post by junkle »

From what I read in the forum, you will have a minimal ISO and with few programs installed, so that the user can install what they want to use.