Open Mandriva Lx 3.03

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Open Mandriva Lx 3.03

Post by crosscourt »

Fair number of systemd updates today and havent tried Discover to see if it will work. Ive been sticking to urpmi which has been rock solid.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

There are some...oddities in the marking of packages. I removed kmail and a few other useless packages and when doing an urpme --auto-orphans it removed KDE entirely. Along with SDDM, and all KDE applications.

Not exactly what was expecting.

If anyone else does this, plasma-desktop nor plasma-workspace works to reinstall a functional system. task-plasma-minimal & sddm-kcm is required to get back to a gui desktop.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Resource usage is excellent as installed so I didnt remove anything from the install. I turned off touchpad,bluetooth and print manager at boot and its running around 449mbs at boot, similar to Neptune.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I always uninstall anything I know for a fact I'll never use. So a rather large part of whats installed by default I get rid of. Had to install Etcher with base rpm command, urpmi won't install due to dependencies being named differently from Fedora/RHEL to OpenMandriva, but it does indeed work (rpm version, not appimage version). I've got it mostly set up the way I like now, although still a few things to install.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I only remove things if there are problems or its an issue in regards to resource usage or stability. It appears version 4.0 will have a minimal install feature but thats a wait and see.

Speed is excellent and at least subjectively it feels faster than Mageia. Will be checking out ROSA here soon but they also dont have a recent iso so a lot of updating will ensue.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Just posting to say I'm posting this on the test laptop from OpenMandriva.

Hexchat package broken and uninstallable
Xchat package broken. Missing adwaita-gtk2-theme dependency (should be at least a recommends, don't think it's NEEDED, but it complains if it doesn't have it), and also binary broken and simply segfaults
However, using quassel, wow, is it nice looking.

Dropbox package also wrong. Doesn't have pygtk2.0 as a dependency (it is), and they have both Python2 & Python3 install, dropbox requires python2, so the script points to the wrong python executable.

pysolfc won't install. pysol will install, but installs tkinter as a dependency when tkinter2 is the correct dependency.

Lots of little issues...
Last edited by tlmiller on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive also used Pidgin and Xchat and both I think are available with OpenMandriva.

I havent tried to install Dropbox yet.

I play aisleriot solitaire/card games as it tends to have few issues and works great.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed Dropbox with no issues from welcome center/applications. Seems to be working fine but will test it further.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

What versions of Python do you have? Mine didn't work because it has Python 2 & 3 installed, so /usr/bin/python points to python3. Once I changed the script to point to /usr/bin/python2, it worked.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears to be Python 2.
Site Moderator