Open Mandriva Lx 3.03

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Open Mandriva Lx 3.03

Post by crosscourt »

Im running almost all Ivy Bridge and its been great given how little i paid for it, or got it free.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So yeah, you're only 1 generation older than my Kubuntu laptop...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most of my systems are Dell Optiplex 7010 in all the various form factors. Love the systems and Im able to clone Windows 7 from my main system and run it on any of the systems given how identical they are without issue.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't have too many similar systems nowadays. I did at one point have 2 Dell laptops that were Skylakes (E5470 & E7470) and before that 3 that were all Broadwell (E5250, E5450, E7450), but now while I do still have 2 Broadwell laptops, they are from different manufacturers and use a lot of different parts (Dell & Lenovo). I actually try to avoid having more than 1 mostly identical system simply so that I can test on as varied of hardware as possible.

Still considering throwing OpenMandriva on my test work laptop (which is a Dell Broadwell), as it's now old enough I think it would work with OpenMandriva.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got the Dell V130s, E5410 and the much older d430s thats it. Ive got the one Compaq system thats AMD based Ive posted about and one Dell 570 my wife uses.

Ive always been behind the curve as I dont have the cash and honestly dont need more recent hardware. Newer game, I slide over to my buddies system and play away, otherwise what i have now suits my needs great. Ill make some moves more than likely in 2020 unless something presents itself sooner.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I like to keep semi up to date, when there's a reason for it. I skipped the original Kaby Lake release due to it being, IMO, a completely useless upgrade. I did get the Kaby refresh due to it doubling the core count on the mobile i5's and i7's, going from dual core hyperthreaded to quad core hyperthreaded, yet being the same power usage (they are slower actual cpu frequencies, not surprisingly). And I got the new desktop because I've been wanting to support AMD with their new chips and I desperately needed a new desktop given that my exisitng one was 8+ years old, even though I technically wasn't able to afford it. Was worth it though, amazing how well a octo-core SMT chip (16 threads) tears through most any task I give it.

Other than that, I'm perfectly content to keep what I have running. The only thing I would like to do is find a cheap Braswell 1080P chromebook (which has been discontinued at this point) in order to play with to replace my Baytrail chromebook. However, not willing to pay a lot, as I know from the specs that the performance will be essentially identical, and I just want it because I haven't had one and I want to test it. Not important enough to me to actually spend any real money, and I have a feeling that I'll never end up getting one because they're just not sold for what I consider a decent price, even used, yet.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The system my friend has is actually one we chipped in on with others so we would have a test rig(online work and gaming tests). Its the community system for recent releases and honestly i game the most so Im on it more often. Other than that I can use older systems easily as my needs are much more modest than yours.
More than likely if I see a really well priced used system before 2020 Ill go for it. Wait till Im behind the curve a bit and get a great system much cheaper.

Im doing much more retrogaming these days so down the road not having an up to date gaming system probably wont be a problem. Retrogaming is cheaper and i still love the older games.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far I really like OpenMandriva and if they can perk it a bit in the next version, its a great distro for everyday use.

A bit quicker than Mageia and I like the feature set a touch better than PCLinuxOS. Ive actually never been a fan of rolling releases even though I like PCLOS but OpenMandriva really strikes a chord with me.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So, not surprisingly, this works absolutely flawlessly on my works test laptop (Latitude E5550).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad to hear that and version 4 appears to be coming late summer/early fall.
Site Moderator