Open Mandriva Lx 3.03

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: Open Mandriva Lx 3.03

Post by tlmiller »

Actually I've never used it either. Only reason I installed it is because pysolfc is broken, that's what I install on everything else. So never had used the apparently newer pysol previously.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Softmaker Freeoffice .rpm installs without issues. Works fine too.

OnlyOffice .rpm installs but requires installing with the rpm command and the --nodeps option due to differently named dependencies from Fedora. It does not, however, work. Needs libcurl compat for libcurl_gnutls_3 which apparently there is no way to get in OpenMandriva.

libcpuid & i-nex installs and launches. Will have to see if it breaks anything.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The more I play around with it, the less I'm impressed anymore.

So PySolFC-cardsets got itself stuck. It wouldn't install due to missing PySolFC package, but if I would do a urpmi --auto-update it would attempt to. I couldn't of course remove it because it wasn't installed. And urpmi --no-install (download only) would completely IGNORE the --no-install and wouldn't download, still erroring out that it couldn't install. So I had to manually download it in a browser from a repository, install it with the rpm -Uvh --nodeps, then UNINSTALL it with urpme to get it to stop ATTEMPTING to install.

This kind of basic functionality in the package manager (options not working, consistently trying to install not installed packages that aren't being requested) is kind of a deal breaker.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im having some issues as well. Printer wasnt auto detected which most distros do today. Ok added the printer and it showed my HP as ready to go.

Wouldnt print at all but kept saying the jobs were completed. Checked settings, looks fine but wont print. Went into HP device manager and it wasnt showing any printers at all. Ok installed my printer with device manager and went to do a sample page. It lists the one printer from the initial install as HP lee-pc and the new printer as HP printer. If i move to HP printer it prints fine but wont print from the HP lee-pc. Its not a deal breaker but shows a lack of testing and feedback from users, that they didnt catch this issue.

Ive used a lot of distros and this has never happened before. HP printers always install fine, particularly the really common models like mine.

I tested with Mageia and it had no issues whatsoever.

Your issue isnt something Ive experienced as the package manager so far has been pretty solid.

Im going to report the printer issue to see what happens.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:52 pm Im having some issues as well. Printer wasnt auto detected which most distros do today. Ok added the printer and it showed my HP as ready to go.

Wouldnt print at all but kept saying the jobs were completed. Checked settings, looks fine but wont print. Went into HP device manager and it wasnt showing any printers at all. Ok installed my printer with device manager and went to do a sample page. It lists the one printer from the initial install as HP lee-pc and the new printer as HP printer. If i move to HP printer it prints fine but wont print from the HP lee-pc. Its not a deal breaker but shows a lack of testing and feedback from users, that they didnt catch this issue.

Ive used a lot of distros and this has never happened before. HP printers always install fine, particularly the really common models like mine.

I tested with Mageia and it had no issues whatsoever.

Your issue isnt something Ive experienced as the package manager so far has been pretty solid.

Im going to report the printer issue to see what happens.
Yeah, I've never seen that issue before with a package manager. Was odd. It has been the only issue I've had with the package manger, but if it were more important packages, rather then just some card designs for a game, it could be big.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok it appears even though I configured the printer with system-config-printer, they have the HP device manager installed by default, so youve got to setup the printer with it or it simply wont work. Makes sense as typically Ive use system-config-printer first then install the HP-gui and it seems to pick it up.

Here HP-gui was already installed so it simply overruled system-config-printer and i hadnt configured anything with HP-gui. Its a bit strange given Mageia and PCLOS dont have this issue.

To tlmiller, I doubt youll have any issues with other apps as ive been using RPM distros for a long time and run them regularly and have never seen this issue ever.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im typing on a live session of ROSA R10 and had no issues printing after setting up the printer in system-config-printer. The issue with Openmandriva appears to be a bug.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yes, one of quite a few minor bugs. And at least some have been known since LX 3 was released (I was reading up on their webpage).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im disappointed to be honest but ROSA R10 looks very good and Ill probably move on to using it. Boot time difference between ROSA amd OM is quite dramatic.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I think I'll cut my OpenMandriva testing off now. It's going to go into the same bucket as Void and Frugalware: It's a decent OS, it has some positives, and worth watching in the future, but at the moment, it's not worth actually using.