Open Mandriva Lx 3.03

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Open Mandriva Lx 3.03

Post by crosscourt »

Read thru their forums and they intend to have both a minimal install/lightweight version and a full version just as they do now with KDE.

Its so early its hard to tell what will happen but considering how much lighter KDE runs now its still a good choice and theyve already commited to LXQT.
Site Moderator
junkle

Post by junkle »

It will have one version with KDE and one with LXQt.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yes as I mentioned above but they had some discussion on their site about lightweight DE alternatives and KDE so things can change as we've seen with so many distros recently.
Right now it appears they are going to stick with KDE/LXQT just as Rosa is doing as OM is based on Rosa.
Site Moderator
junkle

Post by junkle »

See in this link of the forum that shows that in the installation the user can choose which programs to install.

https://forum.openmandriva.org/t/discus ... pt/2068/11
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive already read that but its not a specific proposal so who knows where this will go. If they want to make their life easier being based on Rosa, they will stick to KDE/LXQT as the only officially supported DEs.
MX Linux offers something similar but they only officially support XFCE.

Being able to tailor app installs is a nice feature and will be interested to see where it goes.

If OpenMandriva wants to become more relevant they need to make this release as good as possible.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Recent updates have solved most of the minor issues I was having and its become a very stable experience. Resource usage has improved and its overall feel seems to be faster. I wish they would push OM a bit more and get it back to where it was as one of the best RPM distros.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Was glad to see some much needed updates to browsers in particular which helps quite a bit. I wish they would push this distro more, as it has so much potential.
Site Moderator