Korora and Backslash Linux are no more, the fate of smaller distros?

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Korora and Backslash Linux are no more, the fate of smaller distros?

Post by crosscourt »

Is it the fate of smaller distros that money, lack of help and time constraints will doom more small distros?
https://itsfoss.com/korora-backslash-stopped/
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Korora and Backslash Linux are no more

Post by tlmiller »

I'll admit, I hadn't seen the point of Karora since Fedora released the KDE "respin". It was much higher quality than anything previously available with KDE using Fedora, and made Korora redundant, IMO.

Backslash in theory it's too bad, as it was somewhat unique.
crosscourt

Re: Korora and Backslash Linux are no more, the fate of smaller distros?

Post by crosscourt »

Korora didnt make you jump through hoops to install a variety of software and codecs. Its a great choice for those interested in Fedora but dont have the experience to play with Fedora KDE.
Your very experienced but the majority of users want a good out of box experience and honestly I enjoyed using it myself. I initially was using the Mate version which was very solid.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

From what I've read, Fedora doesn't anymore either, and hasn't for a while. dnf install rpmfusion (much like adding EPEL to RHEL/CentOS anymore). Not sure if it was available with 26, but I've read it was available with 27 and 28. Haven't actually tested it to verify, but if accurate, makes it super simple anymore.
Last edited by tlmiller on Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

When you consider the time/cost/effort required to create and maintain a good Linux distro it's not really surprising some of the smaller distros are falling under the bus. I guess it will always be a problem due to the very nature of being free each of the distros would need to raise some capital somehow to pay for servers/equipment/and of course they need to live as well.

I would probably consider any Linux distro with less than six developers (with enough free time to work on it) to be likely to fail at some stage, I know there are quite a few that are maintained with less but most of them are either simply riding the back of their parent distribution and offering only minimal "extras" other than theming, or cannot keep up with the changes that are happening around then in other distros and so fall behind in what they are offering.

I have noticed many use advertising to gain revenue to allow them to keep going and although I usually use adblocker I often "whitelist" these sites to allow them to at least get something from my visits, although it does depend on how prolific the adverts are.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I donate to some distros that I like and use but with the large number of distros that dilutes the pool of givers. For the long run it would probably be better to have fewer distros so they can see greater gains in donations and volunteers.
Site Moderator