KDE Neon 5.8

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: KDE Neon 5.8

Post by crosscourt »

Quite a few updates when I booted Neon tonight. The minor issues seem to have been fixed and even Discover finished the updates without problems.
Best performance Ive had with it so far and would encourage me to use it more if it stays this way. Still waiting for 18.04 version to be honest.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears they are close to releasing the 18.04 version.
On a side note, Discover continues to have problems so I would recommend using Muon instead. ive used Synaptic but for some reason Neon at times does some stupid things and interferes with Synaptic, but Muon doesnt seem to share those issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

IMO apt > apt-* > {muon, discover, Synaptic, aptitude, etc}
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I test the package managers to see what happens and most newer users want an app to update their system. Command line isnt going to happen for them right away and frankly they shouldnt have to, as we have reached a point where people should be able to update safely and reliably thru a GUI.

Synaptic is very reliable and so far Muon has done very well, but Discover continues to misbehave. Muon use to be like this but has improved greatly.
ive only had this issue with the distros using Discover as the RPM based distros with KDE have no problems at all.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Quite a few updates today.
Plasma went to 5.13.3, Framworks 5.48, QT 5.11 and newer kernel 4.15.0-29
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most recent updates that took it to 5.13.4 seem to have solved all my prior issues. Speed has improved and a slightly better resource usage as well.
At this point Neon is an excellent distro but I wish they would move to the 18.04 based version as investing further in the 16.04 version really doesnt make sense, even though they use the most updated KDE components.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neon needs to hurry up as the last in the Ubuntu series, 16.04.5 has released. With 18.04 already out, whats the point in waiting any longer.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

More updates and the overall experience has improved greatly. If they can continue in this fashion, it could become one of the best KDE distros available.

Speed is what i noticed recently as its far smoother than the first time I ran it, no graphical issues at all.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

A version is now available for Pinebook 64 bit ARM laptops.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Looks like the 18.04 preview is available so Im hoping we will see the final version very soon.
Site Moderator