KDE Neon 5.8

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: KDE Neon 5.8

Post by crosscourt »

Plasma crashed at desktop, very odd as I havent had any crashes on Kubuntu or other KDE distros. Been using it all day though and that was the only incident. May have been related to an app I was installing, Aisle Riot Software but probably nothing.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

i still see the occasional crash on Plasma. Not COMMON like it was in the days of Plasma <5.6, but still not INCREDIBLY rare. Usually also it's able to perfectly recover, sometimes I don't even realized it's crashed until I see the frowny face in the system tray.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Kubuntu 18.04, Neptune 5.2 and PCLinuxOS 2018 have never crashed and the latter two are using the most recent KDE. So far though Neon is a winner and cant wait for the 18.04 version as its definitely going to be my main distro choice.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neon is far more stable than Kubuntu that had more issues with a recent large update that crashed my system and required some console time to correct.

Want to see if Neon 18.04 will be more stable than kubuntu 18.04.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far the RPM based and Debian based KDE distros have been more stable and easier to use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Substancial updates to Neon and Discover worked fine but they still havent fixed the menu issues with the cascade style.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed KDE 5.13 and not only does Neon feel faster but resource usage at boot was 308mb thats amazing. Previously Neon was around 325-340mb after boot and memory recovery seems faster. Many distros when youre online and return to your desktop dont give back your memory right away.
This version is very quick in doing that which impresses. Menu issues have been fixed and a few other desktop issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Over a hundred updates, and Discover still doesnt work but Synaptic worked fine. KDE 5.13.1, Frameworks 5.47, QT version 5.11 but still only using 4.13 kernel.

Graphical issues in menu solved and a few other niggles fixed. Discover update so lets see if they fixed it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

At the moment I don't actually have a neon system again. Until Neon 18.04 releases and I convert my Kubuntu installation over, my Chromebook is awaiting shipping out so I don't have anything with it installed on right now.

I do wish there were a Neon for regular Debian. Neptune is great, but I would like to run latest plasma on some machines instead of just latest LTS.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ill continue testing Neon but Neptune right now is good but not great and Rosa offers me a better experience overall with 5.12.5 with no issues.
Recent fixes though make Neon better to use and waiting to see what the 18.04 version will be like. Im done with Kubuntu for now.
Site Moderator