Fedora 28 releases

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: Fedora 28 releases

Post by tlmiller »

I think when Fedora gets it right, it's a REALLY nice OS. And for me, they've gotten it right with decent frequency lately (23,24,25,27 all were good IMO).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

23/24 but 25/27 I wasnt wild about them. Im not really a Fedora person any more as Id even prefer to use OpenSUSE over Fedora.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've never taken the time to learn OpenSuse enough so I still don't like that. I have issues getting a LOT of things working on it that I don't have in other OS's that I know better.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just the opposite for me with OpenSUSE, as most things work fine and fixing things or adding things is far easier than Fedora. OpenSUSE though isnt my favorite RPM as Mageia and PCLOS are my choices if that gives you some idea how much I dislike Fedora.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I know Fedora well since I got my first cert in RH, and while it's way newer, Fedora is very similar. So it is the rpm distro I'm most familiar with, although I know/knew Mageia rather well at one time. Been a couple years now since I ran it with any regularity.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most IT,devs and programmers tend to like Fedora which I understand but from the other side of the coin, most of us dont like distros where you have to do most things yourself all the time. I got over that years ago and want a distro that works and allows me to what I like rather than what I must do just to get it to work. I work with Windows so much that I get tired of fighting all the time to get things to work and correct all the issues, so I tend to lean towards good out of box distros.

There are alternatives like Korora for those of us who want it, but even that distro has many more problems than other distros.
OpenSUSE is very solid but does do things a bit differently from the other RPM distros like Rosa,PCLOS, Open Mandriva and Mageia.
At one time I would have said it was the best KDE distro available and its still one of the most polished.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

For me, I just want something that works and has all the software I want available without having to manually install things. There is no distro that does, so I go with whatever's closest. :D Fedora with RPM fusion is pretty close, as is Debian with the deb-multimedia and Neptune repos. Arch is super close by itself as long as you're willing to use AUR. None are perfect, but Debian has proven itself to be the most reliable OS for me time and again. Can't even begin to count the amount of hardware that other OS's have failed on that Debian just happily runs without issues
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im an RPM distro guy and have spent more time using them over other types of distros. Ive enjoyed Fedora at times and will continue to try it but I just dont see myself as a long term user unless they lengthen the time between releases.

Im typing on Mageia 6 right now as it got a huge number of updates moving it to 6.1 with 7 coming down the road.

The distro i would recommend to anyone is MX Linux 17 and its my number 1 rated distro. Id recommend it over Mint as well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Happened to be on my Fedora 28 machine today, and looked up to see if there were any reports of this issue, and it had indeed been reported and there was a workaround. Modifying the Clementine.conf file to change the type of Analyzer to None and it works just fine. Since I don't use that feature anyway, it's for me a perfectly adequate workaround. Everything in F28 is now working correctly on my install.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I might give the KDE spin a try,after I look at Kubuntu 18.04.
Site Moderator