Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Fedora 28 releases

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Fedora 28 releases

Post by tlmiller »

New Fedora always makes me nervous. It's just so many of their releases in the past were more miss than hit...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I know and its one of the reasons I test their distros but rarely use them myself. If you give it a look, post back with your thoughts.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If rpmfusion has their release ready for 28, then I probably will upgrade this weekend and see how it goes. But Fedora without rpmfusion is IMO a very poor OS with just WAY too much lacking in terms of multimedia support.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Agree as I wont use Fedora without rpmfusion.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, rpmfusion is indeed ready for Fedora 28, so I upgraded tonight. I just finished, so my impressions are EXTREMELY early with almost no interaction so far, but it booted, its running well so far, so it's got 26 beat for me. Really, doen't feel any different from 27 so far.

tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Found the first issue....playing an .mp3 crashes clementine. System still has all the requirements, I can play them without issue using smplayer w/ mpv.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive never had any issues with Clementine with any distro. Does Amarok work?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Haven't installed it. I honestly hadn't planned on upgrading so soon, but did so since my neck was in a bit of pain so I wasn't wanting to set up. Since I was lying down and not doing anything, I grabbed the laptop and upgraded. I spent a bit of time going through it doing the normal testing (mount.cifs STILL doesn't have the user bit set so you can't have users mounting cifs mounts out of the box, I can't even begin to remember how long this has been an issue with Fedora), and then put it away. Not sure I'll even bother with installing Amarok to test, since all the other multimedia apps work that I normally install, if I wish to use it, I'll just use them for now. The unfortunate thing about Clementine is I can't even report it, as the backtrace it creates is useless (according to the reporting tool).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I havent install Fedora in quite xome time as I typically get frustrated and move on very quickly.
Site Moderator