Fedora 28 releases

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: Fedora 28 releases

Post by tlmiller »

So, decided to test something today. I compared my Chuwi (Fedora 28, N3450, 6 GB ram, 120 GB SSD + 64 GB eMMC) to the Acer (Arch, N3450, 4 GB ram, 32 GB eMMC) and my Chromebook (GalliumOS (Ubuntu) w/ Neon plasma desktop, N2940, 4 GB ram, 16 GB eMMC + 32 GB micro-sd). Mostly since they're very very similar performance SOC's, I wanted to see how they performed when side by side. Obviously, with 1/2 again as much ram and a real SSD the Chuwi should be far and away the fastest. It wasn't. In fact, in terms of overall performance, it's quite a bit the slowest. Fedora is not aging well on this hardware.

I had THOUGHT it felt slower than when I first installed it, but I wanted to be as objective as possible, and this was the easiest thing I could think of to do. So not sure I'm going to keep Fedora on there. I may swap Fedora and Kubuntu 18.04, since the E6440 has quite a bit more horsepower to be able to avoid slowing down as much. However, installing Fedora on dual drives is a total PITA because of the craptastic installer.

My other thing I'm considering is just moving away from Fedora for a while and putting Arch on there as well, since Arch is still running EXTREMELY well on the Acer. Honestly, I think at this point Arch has most definitely solidified it's status as my 2nd favorite OS.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I wasnt impressed with performance with Fedora recently but it hasnt been that way all along. Ive moved on to other distros that perform better in my opinion. Youre comments just reaffirm what Ive experienced.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

When I had first installed it, it was FAST. Just hasn't lasted.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It never does with Fedora in my experience and when I post that a system is fast/quick thats after using it awhile. MX17 of all my 20 distros i use is the quickest after being installed a lengthy period of time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

the odd thing (IMO) is that linux SHOULDN'T slow down. The reason Windows does is because of the registry. With linux not having something like that, unless there is a noticeable difference in the kernel, then it shouldn't have a noticeable degredation in performance. I can't say I've ever noticed my other OS's degrade over time. So somewhere Fedora is doing something wrong that it's doing that. I also can't say I'd noticed Fedora do that in the past, but that may have to do more with the hardware than anything else. Since it's usually been on some fairly good hardware, it might be that it was simply imperceptible, because of the power of the hardware....
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dint remember Fedora doing that in the past either and overall i dont see significant slowdowns with distros such as with Windows. Sometimes its certain updates or changes or kernel changes but overall Linux stays quick for a long time.
Site Moderator