Kubuntu 18.04 LTS released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 LTS released

Post by crosscourt »

Recent updates seem to have cleaned up quite a few things and its become a very nice user experience. Avoid Discover though.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 5:04 pm Recent updates seem to have cleaned up quite a few things and its become a very nice user experience. Avoid Discover though.
I've never been impressed with Discover since it was first offered. First thing I uninstall in every distribution that I use.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use it to test it to see how it does for future reference. I dont uninstall it, I just ignore it and use Synaptic instead. Discover if they clean it up is actually a nice package manager overall.

Right now after the slight update hiccup, Kubuntu is running better than KDE Neon.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No login screen freezes, boot up is fast and so far very stable. Might still rate Kubuntu as one of the best KDE distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I had issues today with the battery icon missing. Deleted /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.battery/metadata.json, logged off, back on and it was back, but interesting that it dissappeared (this was an issue in Kubuntu several years ago with disappearing plasmoids.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Spoke too soon, login screen freeze, that required rebooting to solve, but ok after reboot. Neon 5.8 based on 16.04 hasnt had any of these issues(just menu issues).
Kubuntu also isnt using the most recent KDE Frameworks so not sure what to make of this. Every time I want to give Kubuntu a chance, something stupid happens.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:39 pm Kubuntu also isnt using the most recent KDE Frameworks so not sure what to make of this. Every time I want to give Kubuntu a chance, something stupid happens.
Honestly, I feel that's kind of par for the course for everything Ubuntu.

It's funny, I sold my E5430 the other day, and the guy I sold it to was saying he really wanted to use linux but every time he tried it he found a million odd errors. Things working one time and not the next, things crashing for no reason, applications behaving oddly. I straight up said "Oh, you were using Ubuntu?" and surprise, surprise, he said yes.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats really not the case as im running Xubuntu,Ubuntu Mate and Lubuntu and they all are running great. Add to that Mint and its been pretty solid.
Kubuntu has been a disappointment to me and the reason why i had moved away from it and used the RPM based KDE distros instead.

Everyones experience is different(dependent on hardware in some cases) but ive got many people using Ubuntu based distros with no issues. Honestly had far more issues with Fedora than any of my Ubuntu based distros.

Ive had more issues with Debian(7,8 more so than 9) but Im not going to dump on Debian because of that, as I also have had some luck with MX17 and Neptune, both Debian based distros. I hold the dev teams responsible no matter what the distro is and some respond like MX17 and others dont.

Perfect example though is PCLinuxOS as you hate it, but its been one of the most stable and solid distros Ive ever used as well as for clients/friends.
Users needs/habits, and hardware sometimes dont workout with a particular distro.

So far the RPM and Debian based KDE distros have been more stable and easier to use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im back to Neptune 5.2 and Ill wait and see if Neon based on 18.04 turns out to be better than Kubuntu. Too many issues to use Kubuntu on a regular basis.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Retested Kubuntu this morning and initially booted up just fine so decided to shut down and try again. Second boot froze at KDE load screen with no recovery. The freeze is very random so its tough but no issues at desktop just at boot. None of my other KDE distros nor other Ubuntu flavors demonstrate this issue.
Site Moderator