Kubuntu 18.04 LTS released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 LTS released

Post by crosscourt »

Its a well reported problem with not just Kubuntu but Ubuntu as well. Some people are using older files from previous versions to get it to work as 16.04/16.10 didnt have any issues. Its not just Atheros but Broadcom as well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Didn't know that. Good to know, so it probably will be fixed within not too much time then. Good to hear.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Found the bug report, and downloaded the 4.16.9 mainline ppa kernel that was referenced (but didn't use the ppa, just downloaded and installed the kernel, headers, and modules directly), so have working bluetooth again.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad that it worked out.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Kubuntu is a mess. 106 updates and the system is crashing every time I try to install them. Ill figure it out but this isnt the kind of experience Im looking for when Neptune is smooth as silk and Neon has only a few minor issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Evidently a problem with one of the updates and had to go to console and do the update partially from there, then fixed the broken package and everything was fine. Not sure why these types of things are happening but it doesnt give you the best experience with login freezes and updates that wont install.

Neptune doesnt have any of these issues and so far Kubuntu has been the least cooperative of all the KDE distros I use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Right now Neon is far more stable even though it has some minor issues with its menus. Its also based on 16.04, so lets see how the 18.04 version does against kubuntu 18.04
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I didn't have any issues with todays updates.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Not sure why it happened but it was just one package that screwed it up. It affected both Discover and Synaptic so off to the console to fix. Its affected a fair number of people as i wasnt the only one whos seen issues with Kubuntu. Neon has no issues but its also 16.04.

Your having less issues may be due to the fact that youre running a minimal install versus my full install.

Neon has less issues and is a minimal install as well.

I still like Kubuntu so would like to try and get it to cooperate. My other KDE distros have no issues at all and PCLinuxOS is running up to date KDE.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

More updates today, used Synaptic only and no issues at all. Discover seems to be as problem prone as Muon. Youd think they'd get this squared away.
Site Moderator