Kubuntu 18.04 LTS released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 LTS released

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been impressed with Kubuntu on my E6400/docking station as its been running very well. No issues, memory usage is good but not as good as Neptune or PCLinuxOS. Neptune is around 420mb, PCLOS 338mb, Kubuntu 438mb but releasing the ram after use thats another story. Neptune goes to 500mb after going here onsite then returning to main screen 425mb, PCLOS goes to 457mb then returns to 338mb, Kubuntu goes to 510mb then after return remains in the 500's. This needs to improve as releasing the ram for older hardware with less ram is important.

Performance on this laptop with 4gb of ddr2, core 2 duo 2.26ghz and Intel GPU is excellent. When online graphics, multimedia and radar for weather run very smoothly with no lags or hitches. Hard drive is a 5400rpm 250gb Sata II with 8gb cache.

This setup would work fine for most people doing everyday things.

Kubuntu for me has finally gotten to the point where its pretty much hassle free but continued work on resource usage is still needed.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, Kubuntu is perfectly usable IMO. I still want Neon based on 18.04 to come out so I can switch my laptop to that. I would much prefer to be tracking the latest versions of Plasma instead of the LTS of plasma since Debian (Neptune) already tracks the LTS versions and I have enough Debian installs that I have no need to have anything else track that!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here, I want Neon 18.04 and really didnt want to install the 16.04 version.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Kubuntu seems to be having the same update issues I experienced with Neptune. This was on my laptop install. Bodhi based on the same 18.04 and Mint Cinnamon havent had any issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Update issues have abated but I also stick to Muon most of the time as it seems to have the least amount of issues. Recent updates have been amazing as memory usage has dropped to 349mb. MX Linux uses around 289-305mb so thats pretty impressive for Kubuntu. Its quickly becoming a favorite of mine and runs on my E series dock and E6400 very well. Once upon a time, you would have never considered running KDE on an old laptop, how times have changed. Very stable and quick distro.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Had no issues with my new 1112 HP printer as Kubuntu saw it and installed it without issue. The install was slightly better than Mint 19 Cinnamon where some settings to activate the printer for use werent done. Love the fact that you have the HP GUI with toolbox available thru the repos for use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im back using it with my Dell EDock as its one of the few that still works after updates. many of the distros i was trying after recent updates are no longer working with the dock.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

With Neon having been upgraded to base 18.04, I've abandoned Kubuntu proper. When 20.04 is released, I'll probably look at Kubuntu again.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If Neon worked with my EDock Id use it, but it doesnt so Kubuntu is the better option. ive got Neon installed on one of my USFFs.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Retested the recent version of Kubuntu and it works fine with my docking station. Discover continues to be a pain in the butt as it simply cant do anything right and you end up rebooting and using Muon instead.
Site Moderator