Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Kubuntu 18.04 LTS released

Post by crosscourt »

So far its been a bit rough. Discover did nothing and had to go to Muon for updating and had some issues getting that done. Overall performance was a bit sluggish and mind you Im using 8gb of ram with a 3.4ghz i5 cpu. so I was surprised. Installation itself was fine but again just as had happened with 16.04 once booted, a lot of little niggles that annoy you and make you want to skip the whole experience. Ill give it a chance and see what happens.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So far I haven't had a single issue with Kubuntu 18.04. Everything works (trying it on my E5430). No idea about discover, as it's IMO a waste of space it's the first thing I do is uninstall that. I like apt. I hate gui's for updating (all gui's for every linux or bsd-based distro I've ever touched). I really like the new "minimal" install. Avoid so much GARBAGE that they normally have. Currently have this E5430 and my HP Chromebook 14 for sale on Craigslist, whichever one sells I'm going to keep the other (GalliumOS 3.0 when it's released on the Chromebook, or Kubuntu on here).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im going to reinstall it today on my main system as i would love to use it. Ive pretty much decided I prefer using KDE, particularly with my experience with Neptune. The system I was running it on has some quirks and may have been the issue not the distro as Kubuntu wasnt the only distro that had some issues on that system.

I use to use Kubuntu on a regular basis and right now I prefer to use primarily KDE distros.

Thanks for the heads up, as Ill report back. Ill be installing the full install so lets see how it goes.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Reinstalled on my main system and it was flawless. Updated with Discover just to see if it would work but immediately installed Synaptic as i hate Muon.
No problems whatsoever, speed is amazing and resource usage at first boot after turning off a few services was 396mbs, less than Neptune at 454mbs.

No Excalibur menu so Ill look into that but the standard cascading menu Im fine with. Didnt add many apps, Chromium,Bleachbit, Audacious,Thunderbird,Synaptic and psensor.
Made a few adjustments and its running great. Makes 16.04 look really bad given how smooth this experience is overall.
Changed the login screen by downloading the midnight theme and added my own Kubuntu wallpaper and it looks great.

Only issues were system nagged me about proprietary drivers and added languages, but I think i can deal with that.
Ill do some testing but overall Im very happy with this install.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

One thing they need to change is, when installing the Kubuntu restricted extras, typically once you start installing the screen shows your progress but the details screen isnt open. Make sure it is open as a separate EULA approval box doesnt come up as it does in other Ubuntu flavor distros. You need to approve the EULA through the details terminal by typing yes. If you dont youll sit there and the installation will never finish.
Minor issue but it was done right before so needs to be fixed.

All that said Kubuntu 18.04 is a winner and if testing goes well will end up in my top 5 more than likely.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

KDE right now has gotten to the point where it feels a lot like the older classic Windows with its overall design. I think thats why ive ended up back using it and preferring it ultimately over XFCE and Mate/Gnome 2. As much as I love MX17 I much prefer KDE 5 and it just feels right to use so yes Im a convert it appears.

I need to use it more but right now id use Kubuntu over Ubuntu Mate so lets see what happens,and I might revise my top 5 list.

Finished my video/multimedia tests and even tried a game with no issues.

Question becomes do I like this better than Neptune?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

neptune more up to date at the moment as far as KDE.

Out of the box not allowed to make changes, I'd probably take Kubuntu minimal install.

However, a fully customized install, I'll take Neptune since currently I have to build EVERY single gambas3 package on Kubuntu to install i-nex. Still not sure if I'm going to put it on here or not yet. I built the libcpuid already and installed that, but still need to install several gambas3 packages before I can install i-nex.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Kubuntu offers more up to date apps even though Neptune gives you a more up to date KDE. Resource usage with Kubuntu is better but overall performance is about the same.

Agree out of box, Kubuntu.

Surprised you havent tried KDE Neon given you like the minimal install with Kubuntu. KDE Neon is as minimal as ive ever seen for a KDE distro.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I had tried it when it first came out. Not sure if it's improved any since, but it was SPARTAN with it's non KDE-centric applications, so I wasn't a fan.