Neptune Linux

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: Neptune Linux

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, the newer builds of KDE are definitely showing Gnome that they need to start working on optimization, as it's now BY FAR the most resource hungry desktop with KDE despite how much it seeks to implement being rather efficient with the hardware usage.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neptune 5.4 released with a new dark theme/icons. Please give it a look,
www.lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=258537

They alsio have a new iso for 5.4 to avoid all the updating if you reinstall.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

5.4 runs well and this distro continues to improve and impress after some growing pains early on.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neptune is moving up in the world as its 6 month Distrowatch ranking is 83, 3 month 89, 4 week 54 and one week 11. The steady improvement on top of the recent 5.4 release has gained it a lot of attention. Looking forward to seeing how it does.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Quickly becoming one of my favorites after I dropped it dues to some issues that werent fixed initially, Its a great distro for any user.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just downloaded the new 5.4 iso, which went fine but it doesnt seem to like the Compaq system as there is a graphics issue it appears. This pc may be the cause of issues with Mint 19 Cinnamon as well, so testing on another system seems to be in order. Ran in safe mode and Neptune booted right up on the Compaq system and ran very well. Phenom 840, 8gb of ram, and a Geforce 6150 IGP,
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Did an install with the new iso to see how it does. Really quick install and most apps I use are already installed so little to add or change overall. No issues all hardware was installed, printer automatically. No updates thankfully versus my first try with the original iso. Memory usage is phenomenal as Ive got a few apps turned off but consistently running in the low 400's.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Did two more installs for friends and what an easy distro to work with. They are enjoying it and chose it after trying MX17, Mint Cinnamon 19, and PCLinuxOS 2018 KDE. 5.4 has few issues and the included apps are actually fine for most users. KDE seems to suit former Windows users a bit better than Cinnamon, after watching a number of reactions to the two.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I can see that. While I think Cinnamon is pretty good, the shear volume of features that just WORK in KDE and make it easy to manage without resorting to cli make it one of the best for Windows converts. Such as, with kdeconnect, I no longer EVER have to plug my phone in and try to get mtp to function (although KDE makes it easy if I did need to). I just make sure my machine and my phone are on the same network, and kdeconnect will see the phone, send a pairing request, and it allows me to effortlessly transfer files back and forth, ping my phone for those times I can't remember where in the world I sat it, I can turn on notifications so that I'll get a popup on my desktop telling me who's calling/texting/emailing (I turned this off due to the volume of emails I get to my work account). It's fantastic, and while it only works on Android devices, it makes for being able to do things so easy. Take pictures of stuff, effortlessly upload to craigslist for sales as I don't even need to take my phone off the charger, just upload directly from my phone to craigslist!! And that's just 1 minor application!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been running Mint 19 Cinnamon long term and its improved hugely, particularly with recent updates but I always tend to gravitate back to KDE, just as those users above.
Site Moderator