Neptune Linux

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Neptune Linux

Post by tlmiller »

Anyone ever heard of this? Sounds very interesting for me. Based on Debian Stable, but with the latest KDE installed. Been downloading the image for HOURS. Third time trying to download it. Failed the first time for unknown reasons, then I tried to find a torrent but there were no seeders, so downloading it again. It's a SLOW download. Hope it's worth it, but I really like the sound of it.
crosscourt

Re: Neptune Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Ive already tried it and liked the KDE version. They just released their 5.0 version earlier this month but downloading it was a pain, but I assumed it was because it was a new version. Debian Stable and they even had the latest kernel from backports. Youll probably like it, but I havent spent that much time with it as I got sidetracked with other distros. It was formerly called ZevenOS Neptune for those of you familiar with ZevenOS that was around for quite some time prior to the name change. Zeven OS 6.0 was the last in that version which was based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS versus Neptune 5 based on Debian 9.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It wasn't as well built as I had hoped. Has multiple issues with the 5.0 version. However, I did find that they also offer a script to upgrade Debian Stretch to the current Plasma without installing Neptune, so I did that with a fresh physical install on my Acer, and THAT is fantastic.

Might just have to use that repository to update all my Deb 9 installs to Plasma 5.12 though. There's a BUNCH of fixes in 5.12 from 5.8
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neptune for me just doesnt have the type of attention and support I look for in a distro. They seem to have backed off preferring to focus more on making it stable, given they had some major issues and now offer the perks separately.

SolydXK and KaOS come to mind if you havent tried them.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've ran Kaos. Seemed to me to be very similar to Chakra. GREAT distro...as long as you don't want pretty much anything built on GTK. Been a LONG time sine I've touched solydXK (well, long time in terms of technology).
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So I upgraded my existing desktop with the Neptune repos. Did have to do some manual uninstalls to get it to complete, but overall, it upgraded to plasma 5.12 fairly smoothly. I have to admit, with Stretch running plasma 5.12 (neptune) with Libreoffice 6.0 (backports) and Firefox current (sid)...I dare say it's going to be hard for any OS to worm it's way into my heart now that isn't already there. This is, IMO, essentially the optimal OS. NIce, steady, stable core with latest KDE, latest chromium (or very nearly), latest firefox, latest libreoffice, and everything just WORKS on all my hardware.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im surprised you havent tried OpenSUSE as I think its one of the most polished KDE implementations Ive used.

Neptune for me involves trusting the devs will continue to support it but it makes it hard for me to recommend to other users. Experienced people can experiment fairly easily.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Oh, I've tried it quite a few times. I've never gotten multimedia to work properly on it. I know it's possible, I know people that have it working, but I simply have never learned it well enough to get it to work.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Never had any issues with OpenSUSE with multimedia but some other niggles got on my nerves that thankfully my home forums were aware of and helped..
Its my least favorite RPM distro.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:15 pm Never had any issues with OpenSUSE with multimedia but some other niggles got on my nerves that thankfully my home forums were aware of and helped..
Its my least favorite RPM distro.
I believe I would agree with you on that.