Neptune Linux

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Neptune Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been updating my laptops and desktop systems and undoubtly Neptune is a far better KDE distro versus Kubuntu,Netrunner or Neon. Only PCLinuxOS is as up to date as Neptune but Mageia is also a very stable distro.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I would definitely agree with Neptune overall > Kubuntu. Unlike you, I've had no issues with my "Neon", even though it's not a Neon installation, but rather Gallium with all the Neon repos (given that the hardware requires the kernel & touchpad patches from Gallium).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neon hasnt had any major issues(minor menu issues only) but its also the 16.04 version so who knows what it will be like when the 18.04 version comes out. Neon presently offers me nothing that i cant get with Neptune.

Its interesting that my two favorite distros Neptune and MX17 are both Debian 9 based.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:11 pm Neon hasnt had any major issues(minor menu issues only) but its also the 16.04 version so who knows what it will be like when the 18.04 version comes out. Neon presently offers me nothing that i cant get with Neptune.

Its interesting that my two favorite distros Neptune and MX17 are both Debian 9 based.
IMO, it's only logical. After all, Debian's been my favorite distro since 3.0 was released. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!!!!! Honestly Im not an Ubuntu fan boy, as Ive mainly used RPM distros over the years but Mepis was one of my favorites even though I did enjoy the early Ubuntu versions, 8 in particular. I had never tried Debian early on but Mepis was my first Debian based distro. Mandriva was my favorite early on till they started to have issues, then went over to PCLinuxOS, which I used for quite some time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Libranet 2.0 (based on Debian 2.0) was the first distro I ever truly loved. Mostly because it was the first distro I ever got online with (winmodem) while living at home out in the country where broadband still doesn't exist to this day (I kid you not, the house I grew up in still doesn't have broadband options). When it was discontinued due to it's founders passing shortly after Debian 3.0 was released, I moved to straight Debian as I had broadband by then and no longer had issues with any distribution getting online. I have, for the most part, loved Debian since then.

I have always tested other distro's quite heavily though, even when I was living at home and couldnl't get online with them, I'd set a downloader while I went to sleep, get up in the morning, check if it was finished, and if so burn the CD and try it out.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I didnt start with Linux till around 2006/2007 so thats where i got my first look at various distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I actually started in 1997, because I was already sick and tired of Windows.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

That was the golden era of gaming in Windows so I was running both Windows and DOS and having a great time. Everything was new/different and hadnt been seen before and that unfortunately died out by 2006. Ive used other OS based on various systems from the 80s and 90's before things were standardized. C64 and Amiga were two of my favorites but I did game programming on my Apple II.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I did enjoy the gaming, I didn't enjoy the crashing every 45 minutes.