Neptune Linux

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Neptune Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Heres another review, https://distrowatch.com/wekly.php?issue ... 16#neptune

I didnt have any issues with choppiness as they reported and after my install updates were available very quickly so not sure why they had issues.

I run a very straightforward install so ran into few issues. They reported minor issues with some user specific issues but the review discusses that in detail.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its interesting as i saw a comment in another forum about Neptune reminding him of Mepis. Its funny as i felt the same way when I first tried it it. Its simple, easy to use, good resource usage, clean GUI and the devs are keeping it straight foward for the time being. Its popularity has grown quickly but will be curious to see how they do down the road.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Neptune's updated to 5.12.5

crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yep as Im running it quite a bit of the time now. Didnt notice any major changes with the recent updates.

Didnt realize you were running Neptune.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

More updates today, 21 but the minute them alert came up Discover suddenly had some issues and crashed. Synaptic always works fine and I finished the updates with it. Only issue Ive seen with Neptune so far with Discover.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Huge number of updates today, 176 and it appears to mostly be KDE Frameworks 5.45.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok the huge number of updates was Neptune 5.2 and KDE 5.12.5 and Frameworks 5.46. Theyve got more details on their website.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

More updates and, they do a great job of keeping Neptune really up to date with the latest KDE. Really nice KDE distro that always impresses me when Im using it. The only issue ive had with it is, Discover crashes many times after alerting you to new updates. I use synaptic to update so not really that big a deal. They also updated to the 4.16 kernel.
Resource usage has improved a bit to the 435mb range from 454mb previously. I sure hope people will give this distro a chance and try it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Discover continues to crash at times and its happening with other distros as well. So far Neptune has been solid in that regard but recently its had issues with updates. Synaptic works fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Runs well on my Dell E5410 laptop but the power management settings arent being saved and the system when booted ends up running with a dim screen.

No crashes or sillyness like Kubuntu but the system tried to do an unattended upgrade when I rebooted and screwed it up. Had to go into console and try it again and it went fine.
Neptune is a far more stable KDE distro versus Kubuntu or Neon. On the flip side MX17 doesnt have any of these issues and its also based on Debian 9.
Site Moderator