Neptune Linux

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Neptune Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Just reinstalled on my Dell Optiplex 7010 USFF and its went so quickly. No hardware issues, changed to Adwaita as i prefer this icon set, and added a few apps but not many, Firefox,Bleachbit, K3b and Audacious. A few settings and memory usage at reboot was at 433mb.

Will be testing 5.4 long term now so lets see how it does. 5.4 solved all the small niggles I had with Neptune originally.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neptune used a workaround version of Chromium to solve HTML5/video playback issues but thats no longer needed. Chromium 68 for Stretch is now available which fixes the prior issue.
Do this in terminal, sudo apt install -t stretch chromium
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Updated both my copies of Neptune even though I really dont use Chromium very often.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Theyve been doing a great job of updating and improving Neptune which shows in the recent Distrowatch ratings, that run from 32 to 74 depending on the time period.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Only one of two distros that works with my Dell E series pro3x dock and E5410/6400 laptops.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its ratings on Distrowatch have really improved and its gaining a lot more attention. Amazingly some Mepis fans instead of using MX17 went for Neptune.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I can see that. With the improvement in Plasma since 5.10.x, most other DE's simply don't really have much of an advantage on being able to run on lesser hardware, and regardless of anything negative that can be said of it, KDE has features and customizability out the wazoo.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neptune does remind me of Mepis in some ways and given KDE isnt available with MX17, its a natural fit.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Last update there problems and its something that has got to be cleaned up. Neptune to grow has to be reliable in regards to updating. Right now youre best bet thru GUI is to use Muon as Synaptic and Discovery continue to throw errors.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears to be a firmware upgrade, maybe Intel microcode but its a broken package and simply doesnt work. Ill have to check my other install to see if it installs.
Site Moderator