Neptune Linux

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: Neptune Linux

Post by tlmiller »

Actually, software selection was one of the things that always bothered me with Mageia. There was a pretty decent amount of the software I used that wasn't available for it. That was starting to change the last time I had used Mageia and they were adding much more software to the repos, so most likely wouldn't be an issue anymore.

I have my Fedora test laptop from work lying here (Latitude E5550 i5-5300u, 8 GB ram, 60 GB ssd) that Fedora failed miserably (not Fedora's fault, the pbis-open installer scripts for rpm are broken, looking for sh-utils package which is a Debian package and doesn't exist on ANY rpm distro), maybe I'll test it and see. Has Mageia switched to Firefox-esr 60 yet? That would be a huge annoyance to be stuck with 52...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No they havent switched to 60 ESR and are using 52.8 ESR. The only RPM thats using 60 is PCLOS. I do run Chrome though on Mageia without issues. It shouldnt be too long as they said it would be used before they go to Mageia 7. Im typing on it now and its a very comfortable distro with no major issues at all.

Neptune is great but its not getting much press and down the road I doubt it will last as a future project. It has some issues but nothing major and far better than Neon or Kubuntu.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Interesting as I did another install on my main system and got the same issue with Discover that I had to go into the terminal to fix last time as Synaptic didnt work either. This time I tried Muon and it worked and everything installed without issue, very odd.

They also have Firefox 60 in the repos but it appears to be only in German so ended up using 52.8 ESR.

Theyve added some addtional desktop themes from Netrunner that are pretty nice but i generally use Breeze Dark myself.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same issue with updates again but instead of going to command line I tried Muon again and it worked fine. Recently Ive had to reboot more often to get updates to work. This time around some graphics packages were installed and glitches occured on some websites. Rebooted and all is fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

After reboot some strange graphical glitches, so made some adjustments with the compositor to see if it can be fixed. Testing now.

Update graphical problems fixed. Slowed down the animation speed and went to smooth instead of accurate.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Update issues continue and this time Muon worked and downloaded the updates but got an error when installing. Tried Synaptic and it installed the updates just fine. They need to fix this and either fix Discover or get rid of it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Updates went well today and a few minor issues were fixed but overall Neptune is still having some graphical glitches. It could be this distro is a bit heavy for this low powered laptop or we have an issue with the graphics driver. My other E5410 doesnt have this issue with MX17 so not sure whats causing it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Turned off the compositor and so far the issues have stopped. Scrolling up and down the page would cause some interesting gllitches and lines of text wouldnt align at times looking skewed,occasionally not rendering properly. Doesnt happen on my Neptune desktop install.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Continued issues with my Dell Optiplex E5410 so ended up installing another Debian based distro MX17 and havent had any issues at all.
Neptune on my desktop though runs very well with no issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The latest .iso has some issues. If you use US locales, they're not properly generated at installation, and you have to regenerate (not big issue).

Also, /usr/local/bin doesn't exist by default so etcher can't install (odd that it REQUIRES that directory).

Systemsettings groups (on the left) are REALLY ugly text!! Not sure what's up with that, all other text is beautiful (even text from gtk programs). I'm ASSUMING it's due to highdpi and scaling. But I've never seen any other OS do that (although yes, I've only had 3 other OS's on here). In the end, once I've got it set up I don't use systemsettings that often and so I'm willing to ignore it. But it is UGLY. And the text on the right, looks perfect!! :?

It doesn't seem to do proper window management either. All my windows launch dead center of the screen. This I need to figure out why!! So, this was REALLY stupid (IMO). Neptune actually has the DEFAULT orangement set to centered instead of smart or cascaded!! I can see the reason SOME people might want to do that, but as the default for a distro, that's about as moronic as it gets!! Still, biggest irritation so far fixed!!

However, it's up and running. So far, it seems to be running quite well. Obviously, it's been literally an hour or 2, so my testing is FAR from exhaustive. I will say with the new drive, it DOES seem more responsive and faster. Or maybe it's just Neptune is better optimized than Fedora. Or a combination of the 2. I'm betting option 3. Whatever the reason, it's really quite a spry little bugger with it on here.