Antergos

Discussion on Linux distributions
CaptNoize

Antergos

Post by CaptNoize »

Has anyone on this forum tried the Antergos distro...? I was just reading about it,looks very interesting. Will it work on old hardware...? :roll:
tlmiller

Re: Antergos

Post by tlmiller »

Depends on how old. Antergos is really just Arch with a sane installer and a few addons to make it prettier. Since Arch no longer supports 32-bit, neither does Antergos. So it's 64-bit only, so REALLY old hardware it won't work with. Since you can choose how to install as far as the Desktop/Window Manager, as long as the hardware supports 64-bit, then it can be configured to be quite good with older hardware, ala installing a lightweight windows manager instead of a full desktop environment.

As far as my personal tastes, I think Antergos is nice, although I prefer Anarchy to it. Anarchy you can choose to do a fully custom install and have NO Anarchy packages, making it pure Arch after the install, you cannot with Angergos. But I like Antergos nonetheless, and until recently had an Arch install that was built from it. Once you've got it installed, it DOES help to know how Arch works when troubleshooting, since it's mostly just Arch once you've got it installed, and Arch does have quirks (mostly packages that aren't properly marked as dependencies for various things).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You need a very high patience level for Arch if youre use to Debian or Ubuntu based distros. Theres a learning curve but you could also look at Manjaro and tlmiller probably has some thoughts on that as hes our resident Arch person.

Thanks for posting CaptNoise!
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If you decide to install Antergos refer to this for help, https://itsfoss.com/install-antergos-linux/
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

It really doesn't specify that 32 bit is no longer supported on the website....well,...at least, I didn't see it. I think I'll just burn MX Linux to an ISO instead. Everything I'm seeing on it,may be my next OS I explore. So far, I'm happy with Q4OS. But, I'm always looking for other options. Thanks for your input..!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im not promoting MX Linux but its the best distro Ive used in the last two years and is getting rave reviews from all sides. Lets hope they can keep the good work going. Ive enjoyed using it so much I no longer use Q4OS.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They are definitely 64bit only now, look here, https://forum.antergos.com/topic/4813/c ... -downloads
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Thanks for letting me know,CC, I will keep this in mind,with any new install I need to do.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

More and more distro's are moving away from maintaining 32-bit repos. Simply put, there hasn't been 32-bit only x86 hardware made in nearly 10 years, so most distro's have decided that for the increasingly small segment of people that REQUIRE it, it's simply not worth their devs time to continue to develop it. Some specialty software will continue (Puppy), and some of the largest with plenty of devs will (Debian) for the foreseeable future and therefore the specialty distro's based on them for older pc's will (antix), but for most independent smaller distro's, it's not worth the manpower to continue to support it. And for distro's based on another like Antergos, they don't have a choice, if the parent distro doesn't support it, they can't without having full repos and then they're becoming a full fork, which is a lot harder to maintain.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Heres an article from someone who fell in love with using Antergos, www.lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=252734
Site Moderator