Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Fedora 36 beta released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
wove

Re: Fedora 36 beta released

Post by wove »

The full release should be here before the month is out and I am looking forward to it. I have Fedora Silverblue 35 installed on my desktop. It has been running flawlessly now for several months. If this update goes seemlessly I will probably remain a Fedora Silverblue user for a good long while.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm running a KDE respin of Fedora 35 for my local VM on my Windows laptop at work.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Youre using a Windows laptop willingly? :D
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm a big fan of "I'll use whatever you pay me to use" at work. But it's literally just to log into the Windows domain, then I use my jump boxes (RHEL 8.5) and VM (Fedora 35 KDE) to do all my work.
wove

Post by wove »

The ostree version of Fedora 35 I use has worked exceptionally nice on my IdeaCentre. I am thinking of waiting until Fedora 36 and then install the KDE version (Kinote?) on the new to me X230 tablet/laptop. I really really like Gnome on the desktop setup, but I find KDE works better on the X230 with the smaller screen and perhaps mostly because of the very small trackpad.

At the moment I am playing with Deepin, which released 20.5 yesterday. This is a truly well polished OS. Touchscreen, pen and all other hardware just works right out of the box. 20.5 introduces face recognition and both it and finger print reader work just like they should, meaning that the keychain is unlocked on login, and it works with sudo in the terminal as well. This is the first I have seen a Linux distro do such a nice job with biometric login.

I installed flatpak and in doing so it downloads all the themeing data for the desktop, so no matter what you install, it looks like a native application. I am typing this in Edge for Linux and damn it looks like a native app. I do not like most of the Deepin built applications, the calendar only has 2 built in calendars, and does not sync with NextCloud, the music player does not do internet radio and the movie player just seems strange.

It is build on Debian 10.5, so the underpinning is solid and it is easy to install any .deb package. Overall this is about as close as I have seen to a commercial quality Linux distro. At least it seems to me that this is truly every(wo)man release.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Deepin will never gain wide acceptance no matter what they do to improve it. The fact that early on it had some issues(telemetry/sharing info) with Deepin built apps that caught the attention of reviewers(do you want to trust your face to China?) and the fact that its developed in China killed its chances. Both in independent and with Distrowatch rankings sites Deepin has dropped out of the top 50. Zorin doesnt have the biometric features but its compatibility with a wide range of devices has made it far more popular than Deepin ever will be. As a commercial distro companies wouldnt touch Deepin same as other software such as Kaspersky that come from hostile sources.
Site Moderator