Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

XeroLinux- A beautiful and customizable Arch based distro

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: XeroLinux- A beautiful and customizable Arch based distro

Post by tlmiller »

I installed the KDE version of this in a VM. Beautiful is MOST DEFINITELY in the eyes of the beholder for this. I find it rather revolting repulsive. FAR uglier than a bone stock KDE such as would be had with a netinstall of Debian or a KDE Neon install.

Once past the intial hideous ugliness of it, there's a lot of choices to install for software, but almost nothing for KDE that can be modified, so the KDE itself is pretty lightweight.

Also, of the list of things to be installed, most of it is...things I don't care for. Like I only added 3 things from the default install (hplip, onlyoffice which gets bundled with freeoffice in their calamares?????, and WPS-Office).

When compared to the more common Calamares installer of Arch, Endeavour OS, I have to say it doesn't really compare well. Far uglier, far less useful customization of install, far less useful non-KDE software to choose from, significantly slower install, and the installed product is still downright ugly when it boots. I see absolutely nothing this does even CLOSE to as well as Endeavour OS.

However, they DO have some really good alias's to use with exa set up that I added to my zim notes to set up on my other machines to start testing using exa instead of ls. I like how exa can do things, but remembering the options is hard since many aren't single letter options.
wove

Post by wove »

I looked at the pictures and figured it was not for me. I do enjoy looking at "passion projects" and seeing what others find to be suitable work environments. I keep hoping I will see an interesting passion project that focuses on work flow and layout more than just eye candy. I would tend to agree that Endeavour OS does a really nice job of getting one to a basic configured desktop, that can then be taken in whatever direction you choose.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I kinda figured it wasn't for me when I looked at the pictures, but I'm glad I tried it out if only for the fact that it gave me good ideas about how to try out exa while using the commands (ls, la, ll, etc) that I'm already used to. So it was definitely worth it to me, even though I'd put the OS down overall as "yuck".
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just posted this one as a change of pace as I doubted you guys would really be interested.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It's good to try out even ones you don't expect to like. My recent adventures with OpenSUSE speak to that, and while this one I certainly didn't like, I did get something out of trying it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still amazed youre using OpenSUSE, :shock: :shock: :o
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:37 pm Still amazed youre using OpenSUSE, :shock: :shock: :o
Yeah, it does feel weird to actually be able to like that OS. I hated it vehemently for years.