crosscourt

Test distros online rather than installing

Post by crosscourt »

distrotest.net allows you to test 373 distros online, https://distrotest.net
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Test distros online rather than installing

Post by tlmiller »

I've used this before, although I do like VM's better, since once you install it on a VM you can actually start customizing it, so you can see far more about how the distro is to live with than just the live session. Although this definitely has it's uses.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

As I change my habits and hardware, Im really not using live media as much as I use to and want an alternative for clients. This offers people a way to try many distros to see what they like to use. I dont play with my distros much so VMs are pretty much a waste of time.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Sites like that have become somewhat common for "retro" systems. Nothing of course really beats real hardware, but I think for retro systems emulators are better, and for new(er) OSes I do like a VM. I am new to VMs though so that might just be a fad I am going through.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I like VM's for anything I don't KNOW that I already like. So a VM until I decide it's nice enough to try on real hardware. Sadly, not many OS's make it past the VM stage for me, there's just too much that doesn't live up the few OS's I use on bare metal. I've honestly never used live media other than to make changes to a system that can't be done from a running OS (and 99.9999999% of that I will use the Gparted Live "distro"). Other than that, I always felt live media was mostly useless to me.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Love live media as I can set it up very quickly for someone to try or for me to get a quick look at a distro regardless of my hardware.
Site Moderator