Began using Zorin OS 16 as my everyday OS

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Began using Zorin OS 16 as my everyday OS

Post by crosscourt »

My first full week away from Windows went really well. Ive used most of the features offered in Zorin and have had no issues at all. Interactions with MS formats went fine and Ive been doing some lower level gaming. My company is doing thngs a bit differently so Im able to use Linux to interact with work related apps with no issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My only real complaint is,and this isnt just with Zorin, deals wioth usb wifi adapters. There are very few plug and play adapters that work. Given the nature od OS these days, you shouldnt need to install drivers for well known wifi chips but that always depends on the cooperation of OEMs.
So far only my Panda PAU06 works without issue. None of my other ac based adapters are recognized. I bought a Netgear AC6210 to use with one of my laptops and Im going to try it on my Zorin install. Thankfully my new HP system has a PCIE wifi adapter that should work fine.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Can't say I'm surprised, since most USB wifi adapters use Realtek (most of them) or Broadcom, which are the 2 generally speaking rely on proprietary software (there are some older Realtek chipsets that can use open source firmware, but not many).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My Panda PAU 06 adapter works as its a Ralink chipset but its slow. Netgear uses the Mediatek chipset so will be curious to see how it does but according to reports its plug and play.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, there's a few that are plug and play, but they're definitely the exception. Hopefully more will start using the Mediatek, since that's who's partnered with AMD, and part of the agreement is that they make the drivers for their newer chipset (the RZ600 series, MT792x chipsets) open source for linux users. So that at least will going forward be available. I keep looking for the MT7922 card (160MHz, 6e, the MT7921 is only 80MHz), find tons of the 7921, but none of the 7922.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Really hoping Mediatek might be the answer as clients arent as willing to deal with driver issues all the time.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Netgear Mediatek wifi usb adapter doesnt plug and play with Zorin 16 but it runs without installing drivers in Win10.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Except for the issues with wifi adapters, its as good or better than my experience with Win10. Ive tried some MS apps in Zorin with no issues and they make it very easy to do, good for newbies.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Longest Ive ever gone using just one distro on a regular basis. I run it alongside Windows 7/10.
Site Moderator