Began using Zorin OS 16 as my everyday OS

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Began using Zorin OS 16 as my everyday OS

Post by crosscourt »

Zorin allows you to use Snap, Flatpak, repos or install apps from online seamlessly. I installed FreeOffice 2021 today with one click and in the case theres an issue Zorin steps in to allow you to download apps. Also installed Gnome Tweaks for more settings. Good distro for newcomers because Zorin makes sure there arent any issues and informs you of the situation. It supports .exe/.msi and with its Wine support can run Microsoft apps if you so choose. The interface is Windows like but doesnt try to pretend its anything other than Linux. The troubleshooter and additional driver features will help you when issues arise. Its presently using the 5.13 kernel and the overall appearance of the OS is beautiful. Performance is great as Im running it on a Dell Optiplex 7010 with 8gb of ram, i3 3.2ghz cpu and a 128gb ssd.
Printers were seen just fine but wifi card issues are still a problem. Only my Panda PAU06 works but its a bit slow. Ive got a Cudy wifi adapter coming that should be more compatible and is dual band ac.
Ill post back as I try a few things to see how it goes but after long term testing, this distro for me was the best match.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Began using Zorin OS 16 as my everyday OS

Post by crosscourt »

Resource usage is around 963mb which for Gnome Shell is pretty hood. Tried a few games yesterday and it worked fine. Been working with documents from work and FreeOffice isnt having any issues at all. Disk usage analyzer shows I still have 106gb left of 125gb which shows how small the install is with added programs.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far havent touched Win10 and have been using Zorin exclusively with no issues. My hope is I can make a break except for gaming .Tried to interest my wife but she rolls her eyes and I doubt she'll ever try Zorin, but she would be surprised.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Theres hope as she sat down with me and looked thru the apps and features. She has Office 365 online, I added Gimp,Scribus,Audacity and a few others that she can use, not to mention the many offerings thru FreeOffice and LibreOffice. Its easy to navigate and most things you do in Windows are down pretty much the same in Zorin. Theres a curve learning app names but once youre in them they look like MS apps and act pretty much the same. Even after all these programs Im only using 10gb on a 256gb ssd. It also recognized my Android phone with no issues, another plus.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Did you opt for the paid version? Are all the versions based on Gnome? I see a lot of write-ups about it with most of them being very positive, but I have never tried it myself.
bin

Post by bin »

I remember trying Zorin way back when, so I thought I'd take a look at where they are now. Just trying out the Core edition (Gnome) and I am pleasantly surprised. They seem to have worked hard to create a gnome system that has had the oddities rubbed off and it certainly is quick. Just trying out in VM at the moment as it seems that applying themes has changed a bit..... :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im using the free version as the paid version gives a few more desktop designs like Win11, and more software thats mainly available anyway. I may buy a pro version though just to support their project. To bin, Zorin today is light years away from what you saw in the past and based on a highly customized Gnome Shell it offers a very smooth experience to any user. Changing themes is quite easy as is most of the excellent features. The combination calendar/time/weather/ last notifications shows you recent emails at one click. Zorin connect works very well and the general fit and finish youll see is is high quality.
They also have the Lite version based on XFCE. If you buy the Pro version they include the Pro Lite version thats good for older pcs, but honestly, Ive run the Core version on my Dell 4310 which is over 10 years old with no issues but you really need at least 4gb of ram.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Make sure to install Gnome Tweaks for more features and extensions. If you want a traditional Gnome desktop that is included in the desktop themes. I installed a number of apps using the store to install Synaptic. The rest came from Synaptic but the store has a huge number of apps. OnlyOffice is available but I went online to get FreeOffice and Chrome. The install was so easy any user could do it without issue. Zorin has tried to make the experience easy and more Windows like which I think will attract many more users. My wife was impressed by many of the features. Zorin recognized my printers and installed them as wjere Win10 required me to add drivers. Make sure you add the Ubuntu restricted extras for more codecs but so far the default apps and setup has worked fine with all my multimedia needs. Literally havent run into a problem but Im a mainstream user so your mileage may vary.
Wine is preinstalled amd preconfigured so if you do want to run some MS apps you shouldnt have any issues. Once I get Zorin into a better system I want to try Steam and see how many games I can play. My long term goal is to leave Windows except for client work and do everything with Zorin.
One of my clients has been having issues with Win11 and saw I was using Zorin. He tried it and liked it and I installed it on his personal laptop with good results.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

All very personal but using themes:-
Application - Gnome-Pro
Shell Fluent Round Light
Font Noto Sans Regular 10.5 - I find their default font choice is very fuzzy.
I must admit I am still impressed....
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Must be my eyes as I like the default but installing the Ubuntu restricted extras gets you the True Type option. Just picked up an HP Elitedesk 800 G3 that will become my new home for Zorin. Ive been using Zorin since version 12 and 16 by far is the best distro Ive used in quite some time.
Site Moderator