Linuxfx 11.1.1103 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Linuxfx 11.1.1103 released

Post by crosscourt »

Interesting distro that uses KDE and creates a desktop that looks like Win10/11 and offers some MS apps and supports.exe/.msi. It looks so much like Win11 when I saw it , i was quite surprised. Its based on Ubuntu 20.04.

https://distrowatch.com/11456
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Linuxfx 11.1.1103 released

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I had seen that. Can't see the appeal of Win11 look though.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

For new Linux/crossover users it could be really attractive. I havent tried this distro but its become very popular very quickly.
Even Feren OS has adopted a somewhat cloned Win11 look.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Will be trying this distro over the weekend to see what it offers to crossover users.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

It will be interesting to read your comments. The whole idea strikes me like tee-shirts printed to look like tuxedos, and fiberglass sport's car bodies installed on old VWs. It purports to look like Win10/11, work like Win10/11, and run Win10/11 software. It costs $35 which makes it $35 more than Win10/11. It is designed for people whose computers will not run Win 10 or 11, however if your computer will not run Win 10 it probably will not do a very good job of running a newer Linux either. (And I think $35 is enough to buy a computer that will run Win10 for free.) I just have trouble seeing a use case for this distro.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Actually there is a free version but I could see this distro being a winner for crossover users, particularly if they can make using some MS apps easier to do. $35 though for an OS is a steal if it can make the Linux experience a lot easier for those who use Windows and are sick of it. Zorin though not a clone uses a Windows like GUI and is very popular. Ive always thought at some point we would see more Windows like distros. Even Q4OS Trinity has an older Windows type look and feel.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I ran WindowsFX with a live dvd session and immediately had some issues with the nouveau drivers but the OS seemed to get it solved. I tried the Win10 version which is a 4.4gb download and when installed uses 30gb. The whole design of FX mimics Win10 which at some point is going to attract issues with Microsoft. Interface is familiar and easy to use and I had no issues running a variety of apps. It uses OnlyOffice and you have access to Android apps, MS apps and it uses Edge as its browser. The KDE desktop still has some of the familiar features as I first saw with activating my wifi. Overall its well done and any Windows user would feel right at home. Resource usage is high at 700mb but performance was good and no stability issues. I could actually see a business using this as an alternative to Windows depending on the type of business. The downside, there is no free version, only a trial version so if you want all the features and developer support you have to pay to get it and get a serial key. For me its not worth it as it doesnt offer anything I cant already get from other KDE distros or the fact I aleady get Win10 for free because of previous Windows installs.
Given how cheap the distro is and the fact that theyve done all the work for you, if you need an alternative to Windows, I can see many using this in either the Win10/11 versions. I ran it on a Dell Latitude E6420 and it performed well.

Honestly I would recommend Zorin OS 16 over WindowsFX as its free, stable,offers much better user features and support for games, Microsoft apps and all major software packing platforms.
Site Moderator