PCLinuxOS 2018 KDE review

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: PCLinuxOS 2018 KDE review

Post by tlmiller »

So I can't get a openvpn VPN set up through netapplet. Switched to network manager. NM won't autoconnect (despite being set to), and if I manually connect, somehow prevents any application from launching.

Also, most distro's with autologin enabled take 20-30 seconds to get to the desktop. PCLOS takes NEARLY 2 minutes (100-110 seconds)

Definitely not impressed.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Doesnt take that long on my computer with autologin to get to desktop. Around 30 seconds but I no longer use it.

You might want to jump on their forums and discuss some of these issues which they can either learn about and correct or offer some advice.

I havent used VPN in quite some time so cant comment. I can say that a friend of mine had issues with openvpn with Mint 18.3 so its not limited to PCLOS.

In very long term testing on a wide variety of hardware recent to old, its a very solid distro with a great support community. Perfect its not but ive never run into a perfect distro yet.

Sorry didnt see your previous question but no,I dont modify user agents for browsers. I run PCLOS as is and rarely make any changes.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

After testing, I don't think it's worth taking any time to try to solve the issues. I'd much rather try to fix the issues with Rosa as it was a FAR superior OS. Everything in the last year that I've experienced with PCLOS puts it as one of my absolutely least favorite OS's. IMO, just an awful OS with no redeeming characteristics. There's literally nothing about it I like. It just seems slow and sluggish, and antiquated system utilities such as still hasn't updated to apt from apt-* that came out 5 years ago now.

VPN is important to me since I need it for work. The problem, IMO, is that you can create the connection easy enough by default, but there's no way I can FIND to connect as a user. Having to connect as root is, IMO, not ideal. With networkmanager, it enables you to connect as a user with a click. Nowhere near as easy with the anitquated tools PCLOS uses by default. While I understand how some can enjoy this if they don't need these types of tools, if you do, IMO, this is just not a good OS.

edit: Actually, there was one thing I liked asbout it, the iridium browser. A security focused veionrsion of chromium that still allows you to install any extensions you like.
Last edited by tlmiller on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just updated PCLOS and nice to see 5.13.1 installed and impressed with the speed as its noticeable versus 5.12.5. Same exprience I had with other distros that moved to 5.13. Was impressed with the changes and most of the niggles have been fixed by this update, same as Neptune/Neon.
Agree that I would rate Rosa higher than PCLOS but its pretty close to Mageia. PCLOS has never felt slow or sluggish to me and Im not running it on a high end system

Exactly, always use a distro that meets youre needs and requirements as advanced users have specific needs.

Also I would encourage you to contact the devs at PCLinuxOS as any feedback is valuable.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Memory usage has improved around 50mbs, thats impressive and slightly better than what I saw with Neptune and Neon. 5.13.1 is impressive.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:03 pm Also I would encourage you to contact the devs at PCLinuxOS as any feedback is valuable.
I cannot do so. They literally don't allow new users to register on their forums.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You can email them or post in the normal forums as all feedback is important to them. Im not presently on their forums but was a member and content contributor over there for years. They always appreciate feedback from experienced users.

I do the same thing with MX Linux and Mageia.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just spotted that PCLinuxOS has a new iso available 2018-6 using KDE 5.12.5 and the dark Breeze theme. Given this is a rolling release its nice to get those recent isos to speed installs. Ive already downloaded and tested it, the live cd works fine.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

yeah, that's the iso I used.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ill probably do a full install with the new iso to see how it goes, but the live session was quick and nice.
Site Moderator