Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

PCLinuxOS 2018 KDE review

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: PCLinuxOS 2018 KDE review

Post by crosscourt »

Excellent resource usage as Ksysguard shows 396mbs, using a Dell Optiplex 7010 with Intel IGP. PCLOS defaults to proprietary drivers , so if your using say a Nvidia video card your memory usage will jump up quite a bit, around 150mbs.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Had some initial issues using the same drive from the above Intel system(kernel panic) on an AMD Phenom 840, 6150se gpu system, but after a fresh install its running great. Its a great distro for most users and if you want to get your feet wet on KDE its a great choice.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears that the original PCLOS installs came from a system with a newer Nvidia card using newer drivers. When the drive was used on the older system with the 6150SE gpu. The distro didnt make the change and the newer driver caused a kernel panic. Reinstalling the 304 driver was used with the 6150SE and everything was fine. Kernel version didnt matter as the panic occured with the 4.9,4.10 and 4.14 versions. Im presently running the 4.12 kernel with the 304 driver and its running fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

PCLOS on my Dell 7010 USFF is running great. Huge number of updates recently and many have fixed some of the minor issues. Wish they would update to the newer KDE version but its stable, cant complain.

Long term testing has been great and a great system for new users.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Huge number of updates moving PCLOS to KDE 5.12 and Frameworks to 5.45. So far its one of the most stable 5.12 distros ive used so far. Honestly on the whole 5.12 is overall a pretty stable version.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I tried to test this again today. I know Crosscourt loves this OS, but I have to say, their installer is the biggest pile of garbage I've ever seen. Debian 2.0 had a better installer.

I boot from the installer, and it:

1. Takes a long time to boot. At least triple the time Kubuntu/Debian/Fedora take.
2. Can't reread partitions. I tell it to wipe all partitions on the onboard SSD and it has to reboot to reread it.
3. After wiping the partitions on the drive, it ALSO wiped the partition record on ITSELF!!! So the USB insdtaller is no longer bootable!!

The OS might be decent if you can get it to install, but in all my tries, it's just absolute trash.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I cant speak to your specific hardware/installs but I can install PCLOS in under 20 minutes with updates, its that fast. I dont run SSDs so cant speak to that bui boot time is quick, and Ive never had any issues reading partitions. Ive wiped all partitions and installed with no issues but I dont use USB installer, I use a DVD iso instead. My experience with various installers with PCLOS, Neptune,Kubuntu and Mageia are pretty much the same. Ive always liked RPMDrake myself but Ive been using RPM distros for a long time.

By far the most flexible of the RPMs and has a ton of apps outside the typical RPM offerings and one click to change kernels.

Its one of the reasons its remained so popular. Best forums Ive ever experienced and Id continue to recommend it to all users.

Sorry your experience was so poor but honestly why not go over to the forums and discuss it a bit as it might help them as much as you.

Ive got experienced users and newbies running PCLOS on a variety of hardware with no issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They just updated to KDE 5.12.5 and Frameworks 5.46, but still using the 4.14 kernel.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So with partitions already set so I didn't have to make any changes, I tried this again today. And I'm posting from PCLOS.

1 question for Crosscourt, do you modify your user agents for browsers to show the actual OS? IF so, what do you use as the OS for PCLCOS? PCLinuxOS, PCLOS, or something else?

I ended up breaking Neptune. In trying to fix their setup, I somehow broke the kernel. Wouldn't boot anymore, would go to load the initrd and just stopped. Not sure what exactly I did...but not going to worry about it. Debian + Neptune repos > Neptune.