Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Linux Mint 20.3 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Linux Mint 20.3 released

Post by crosscourt »

20.3 is stable and quite nice. Memory usage dropped from 670mb to 640mb and the DE seems a bit faster overall. Newer version of Cinnamon seems to be fine and many more themes,fonts,colors added. Once I did my updates you click on the upper tab in update and the 20.3 install is off and running.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still doesnt support Broadcom by default but system troubleshooter offers to install the drivers.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

This version of Cinnamon is really nice to use. When I first tried Cinnamon years ago it was unstable and had many issues but now its smooth, uses less resources and is easier to configure, The user features particularly the troubleshooter/system report are even better and great for people new to Linux.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

I've been playing with the MATE version now that it is up to MATE 1.26. With a bit of twiddling I've got the idling RAM down to around 450-500mb which is still silly but there we are. At least with MATE my old metacity themes and other happy bits still work. I'm not 100% happy with a couple of areas where it is throwing a lot of errors into the .xsession-errors that were not there in 1.24 and may be down to incomplete implementation somewhere. Just comparing with Ubuntu 21.10 mate to see if I can see the differences.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ubuntu Mate was one of my favorites but over time you start to enjoy better features and customization with DEs like KDE. There are many little things that caused me to move away from Mate. Im not as picky as some users are overall and really to tinker with my installs a whole lot. When I do Im lookig for something that is easy and offers more choices. Zorin 16 is a distro that has this with its custom Gnome Shell.
Site Moderator