My three year end distro choices

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

My three year end distro choices

Post by crosscourt »

For now Ive settled on three distros that I like that Ill list in order of preference.

1.Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
2. KDE Neon 5.23.4
3.Zorin OS 16 Core
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: My three year end distro choices

Post by tlmiller »

I don't think my top one has changed in 10 years...still Debian. #2 has waffled between the installer, but it's been Arch w/ installer (currently EndeavourOS) for like 5 years. #3 is the only one of my preferences that REALLY change much. But right now, probably Q4OS.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If I extended this list Id add Q4OS KDE/MX21 KDE as I prefer them over using Debian itself. Its been quite awhile since Ive used any distro for years, I tend to have quite a few testing then I take the ones I like, install them on a system and use them to see if it works out. Cinnamon for instance I had been testing for awhile and finally reinstalled it on on one of my laptops.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I do much the same, but so far, VERY few have ever moved from testing to hardware, because to me they simply don't work well enough. Void is about the only one that does get onto actual hardware very often. And it aways ends badly because it's just missing TOO much for me to enjoy long term.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Really enjoyed Cinnamon but Neon has really improved. Far fewer issues and the upgrades are install more cleanly. I find Cinnamon overall easier to use than XFCE or Mate.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I tend to transition between thing rather slowly. I have been content with the Gnome DE for a while, so I am sticking with it for at least a while longer. Over the last year I have been slowly moving toward OSTree based systems and am finding I like the immutable OS along with flatpak installed software makes for a nice stable system.

Debian is my favorite for long term stability. I have used it enough that I can recover from my errors. It tends to support most everything. Debian powers my NextCloud server and it now has an uptime of several months. I have changed its configuration, added external storage and removed external storage. That has involved restarting NextCloud, but the Debian foundation has not needed a restart.

Endless OS is running on the Pinebook and it is an OSTree based system built on top of Debian. The hardware has always been something of a disappointment, but the OS has been going strong. I have been pretty consistently using Endeavour OS in a VM and have been impressed with it. The documentation has been first rate. It is easy to install the DE of your choice and I have been using Plasma with it. I followed directions in the Arch Wiki and changed to Gnome, then followed them again to reinstall Plasma and it was flawless. I am getting close to thinking I might like this running on real hardware.

I still have and probably will always have a real affinity for very clean implementation of upstream DEs, which for me means I just do not like distros that "customize" things. So for now for me that means building what I want using Debian, Fedora and now maybe Endeavour.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im a mainstream user, so I look at distros from the everyday point of view and prefer distros where the GUI is more the focus. User features that make a distro easier to use and maintain are also a priority. It makes it easier not only for myself but to recommend to clients and non-profit system users. It doesnt hurt to use a distro that also looks nice and creates a great environment to get things done.
Im a distrohopper as I use to run a website where we tested large numbers of distros and rated them. I regularly use and test distros and eventually find some I actually want tom use on an everyday basis. I havent stayed with a single distro for more than a year in quite some time.
Site Moderator